Turbo pump

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
sondreL

Turbo pump

Post by sondreL »

I saw this turbo pump on ebay, will this work for a fusor?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pfeifer-Balzers ... 4863df915e
Alexandru_Calburean

Re: Turbo pump

Post by Alexandru_Calburean »

Sondre,

If you know for a fact that the turbo pump works then yes it is steal for this price! With this setup you more or less have a fully working vacuum system, it seems to be mostly plug and play for gas and electric handling systems. Be warned though, this will need a good backing pump before it can start otherwise you run the risk of ruining the turbo pump. Wait until some more experienced members weigh in as well, as this seems far too good to be true, but you may have just gotten lucky. Good luck in your efforts

All the best,
~Alex Calburean
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Unless you own a controller for that turbo, it isn't going to do anything except collect dust. That is a good price for a working turbo (Do the blades turn very well without noise and turn for a while? This would be a good question to ask as well as "What happen to the controller?" The seller claims it is working order. If you had the controller, than you'd be able to test it ... . Of course, at that price, I'd be surprised if someone with a controller didn't buy the unit ... .)
Which brings us back to that issue - controllers are expensive. Building ones own turbo driver/controller is a task I don't think too many would want to undertake. A turbo without a controller is like a car engine without the car ... . Nice SS connectors (new, they could exceed the asking price but then, I never buy new and only pay a small fraction for my fittings.
sondreL

Post by sondreL »

Thanks for the replyes.
Ok, I dont have an controler and my budget will not reach to buying one, so I think I will buy a diffusion pump then.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”