oil for TPH100 turbo molecular pump bearing lubrication

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
steve_rb

oil for TPH100 turbo molecular pump bearing lubrication

Post by steve_rb »

I was wondering can I use normal motorcycle oil for turbo pump bearing lubrication? If not what kind of general oil can be used?
Dennis P Brown

Re: oil for TPH100 turbo molecular pump bearing lubrication

Post by Dennis P Brown »

You should use turbo pump oil; as for regular vehicle oil - bearings for turbo's run at vastly faster rates - such regular motor oil will ruin a turbo pump's bearings besides causing unacceptable levels of out gassing. While there are some alternatives to turbo pump oil, I do not feel like I have sufficient knowledge to discuss them. Either search the archives here or do a google search.

Also, if you want to post, best to use your full real name as the rules require.
Bob Reite

Re: oil for TPH100 turbo molecular pump bearing lubrication

Post by Bob Reite »

Re: Real name: He probably thought like I did that the system would not allow a first and last name for the "account code". That's why I picked "br2600" when I first logged in, but there is a place to fill out your full name as I did.

Now to the subject at hand: You don't want to risk trashing a $2500.00 USD or more turbo pump with the wrong oil. Bite the bullet and buy the recommended oil from the manufacturer. An oil change for that pump should cost about $125.00 USD
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”