Deuterium Clamps

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Jake Wells

Deuterium Clamps

Post by Jake Wells »

On this forum i have seen Andrews deuterium mounts. I have no machinig skills. to mount the chamber to a railing could i use hose clamps to mount the deuterium?

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
― Nikola Tesla
John Futter

Re: Deuterium Clamps

Post by John Futter »

Use whatever you want
make your own mind up
rubber bands, Stretchy straps, chewing gum, RTV, string are all valid

oh and if it lies on the floor it can not fall further --so no mounting required
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

How about asking for some machining help (wink) :)
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Machine work!? (LOL) I used a short section of PVC tube and an end cap for the base support (and just put a wood screw to lock down the cap; the tube makes a very tight fit) to hold my small lecture bottle. I further reinforced it by using a standard pipe clamp (on the upper section of the bottle) and short piece of threaded rod. See the picture I have of the lecture bottle support. I use two set screws for the cap/tube base assembly to allow easy access to the hold down screw in the cap - a bit over kill.
Attachments
MVC-019L.JPG
Andrew Robinson

I think that depends on ones perspective Dennis. To some, your solution could be considered under kill. To each his own.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Just laughing at my avoidance of machine work for supporting the lecture bottle (and in general, I hate anything that requires more than a hand drill! I'll use a lathe or mill but all bets are off if it requires more than just looking at the size and saying close enough. I have made a number of good high vac O-ring seals by just holding the required O-ring on the metal plate and guessing on the width, depth and diameter. LOL)

Yes, my approach compared to just using a hose clamp with wood is, to say the least, vast over-kill(!) but my post was to demonstrate how to do a fairly professional lecture bottle support without any machine work. My result is not in the same league as of the pic in the earlier post. Now that is professional machine shop work!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have used the same clamping system since 1998. It is the exact thing that Andrew made but is of wood and easily fashioned. Going into its 15th year of duty and third bottle of Deuterium.

Image attached shows the fusor III gas system being moved into the fusor IV setup during construction in 2004. Wood blocks were fashioned back in 1998.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Wood clamp block secure D2 gas bottle.
Wood clamp block secure D2 gas bottle.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

I always love seeing that picture Richard. Everything is so white/bright and open in that pic.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”