Cleaning new chamber

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
David Kunkle

Cleaning new chamber

Post by David Kunkle »

Hi all,

Should be picking up my vacuum chamber from the weld shop today! Because I polished it, I already used detergent and a pressure washer to remove the waxy/greasy residue from the polishing compounds. After reading thru old posts, my plan is to use detergent again (why not- I've already used detergent once) after going thru the weld shop, then acetone, then IPA, then do a plasma cleaning. Questions:

1- Any input on the above plan?
2- Already bought heat tape. I've read that the plasma cleaning can get the chamber quite hot. Since I can still return it, is there any need for the heat tape if a plasma cleaning is being done?

Thanks.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Adam Szendrey

Re: Cleaning new chamber

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Sounds about right. I pretty much did the same as I recall, and this was the general method for cleaning vacuum chambers in the lab as well, when I worked there. Heating up the chamber helps.
David Kunkle

Re: Cleaning new chamber

Post by David Kunkle »

Thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Still don't have my chamber. Got to see it Thursday. Looks better than I expected- looks pretty wild. Was supposed to pick it up then before I realized they missed one or two minor things. Then apparently something blew up at Square D, and they were off on an emergency Friday. Hopefully Monday it'll be home, and I'll start cleaning.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”