Control box Leybold-Heraeus Type PD 180: searching Manual

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Alex Grossmann

Control box Leybold-Heraeus Type PD 180: searching Manual

Post by Alex Grossmann »

Hello,
I am a newbie in the are area of vacuum technology and I've just started to buy the first components. Since I am living in Geramany, the number of affordable components on ebay is very limited. Anyhow, recently I won an auction for an oil-diffusion pump (Leybold 170). Together with the pump came a control-box. Indeed, this control-box is not really needed to run the oil-diffusion and the rough pump ... but well, since I have it, why not using it.

But nowhere I can find a describtion of the control box.
(One cable-bundle is labeled with "Connector rough-pump", the other with "heater oil-diffusion-pump", and the last cable bundle says "thermal switch oil-diffusion pump").

Information on the type plate:
Tpye PD: 180 Category number: 010113 B2
Electrical current.: 3/Mp 380/220V 50Hz
Nominal electrical current: 3A Pre-fuse: 10A max.
Connecting power: 1.2 kVA
Circuit number: 01013-400.B 2.3
Device number: 01013 1280460001

It's pretty obvious, this control box will turn on the heater of the oil-diffusion pump, and the rough-pump. But before I connect it, it would be better to understand e.g. in which order those devices are turned on/off. Additionally, I am not so sure about the cable which says "Oil-diffusion pump thermal switch". Do I have to connect this with the oil-diffusion pump (there seems to be a thermal element at the cooling pipe) or with the external water pump? Finally, there are two button on it: my guess it, one is for the heater, the other for the cooling .... so I am even more confused, when/how the rough-pump is turned on.

Thanks in advance for all hints and tips!
Attachments
IMG_20150502_120817.jpg
IMG_20150502_120751.jpg
Roberto Ferrari

Re: Control box Leybold-Heraeus Type PD 180: searching Manua

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Hi Alex

Normally you start first the mechanical pump and when assured a good pre vacuum (ca 150 mtorr) you turn on the diffusion pump.
Your box apparently includes a "too hot" alarm, in order to protect the diffusion pump from overheating in case the cooling stops.
Irrespective if your diffusion pump cools with water or air, the sensor will trigger a relay disconnecting supply voltage to the heater of the diffusion pump and probably turning on some acoustic or visual alarm.

Good luck!

Roberto
Alex Grossmann

Post by Alex Grossmann »

Roberto Ferrari wrote:Hi Alex
Your box apparently includes a "too hot" alarm, in order to protect the diffusion pump from overheating in case the cooling stops.
Roberto
ahhh .... yeah ... this makes sense. Now, it would be good to know, what the threshold temperature of the control box it. I could imagine, different pumps would have a different max. temperature. Or if it isn't the pump itself which determines the max. temperature, than perhaps the oil would have a max. temperature (pls. consider: I am a newbie, and it the first time I am dealing with such stuff).
Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Don't care too much by the specific switching temperature. All diff pumps run in a similar temp range.
The basic idea is stop heating when the cooling is low or missing for some reason. You can do some web search about that specific diff pump and the recommended oil (type and quantity).

Do a self teaching experiment: draw the schematics for that box. That will help you to understand and to master the whole system.
Doesn't seem to have any electronic component. Just switches, push buttons, relays, cables, connectors.

When you decide to turn off the system, first you have to stop heating the diff pump but keeping cooling on.
After 20/30 min approx. you can stop your mechanical pump.

Enjoy!

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”