Edwards Pirani Gauge Fix

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Finley Blaine

Edwards Pirani Gauge Fix

Post by Finley Blaine »

Just a quick post,

I had this Edwards PR10-K Pirani gauge for my fusor but the gauge was suffering from mechanical problems. Specifically the tube (i don't know the proper vocabulary) was very loose in its case, and the cable was loose too.

Inside the gauge:

I 3d printed an insert to keep the tube in place:

The insert in place:

Now the gauge is solid and doesn't feel like it will fall apart.

Again, Thanks to Justin Fozzard for supplying the gauge.
Rich Feldman

Re: Edwards Pirani Gauge Fix

Post by Rich Feldman »

Very nice work there, Finley.

Are you a an old hand at 3-D printing?
How did you create the model for Pirani gauge restraining part?

Since you opened the topic: my one and only 3-D printing exercise was drawn a few months ago using OpenSCAD. Took only an hour or two from downloading freeware to having stl files of new design, with many dimensions controlled by adjustable parameters. Then printed at local shop and picked up over the counter.
tb.JPG
Any opinions on SolidWorks, which all the mech-E's use at my workplace? Last year one of them drew an even simpler part for me, in about 5 minutes. Then she printed some with the SLA (liquid resin based) machine in the lab.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Finley Blaine

Post by Finley Blaine »

Hi Rich,

I wouldn't consider myself an old hand at 3d printing, for one i'm only fifteen, but i have had my particular FDM printer for a few years now and have learnt a lot in that time. I created the model (.stl) in Creo Parametric, (on my father's work license as it is really really expensive) in about half an hour just by measuring the specific dimensions with an analog calipers. Unfortunately I can't give any opinions on Solidworks as i have never used it but it does have a good reputation. Neither have i used an SLA printer. But yes, 3d printers and access to a good cad package can be very useful in my small experience.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

SolidWorks is pretty good, and the company is laudable for resisting the shift to subscription plans. However it costs at least $5000 a license.

If you can 3D print in Ultem, PEEK, or PEKK, you can make vacuum internal components...

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”