Noisy Edwards EXT250 Pump

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
David Kunkle

Noisy Edwards EXT250 Pump

Post by David Kunkle »

This Edwards EXT250 is my 2nd turbo pump. Noticed yesterday it's making a high pitched whine even after it's up to speed. Not real loud, but noticeable that it wasn't there before- slightly annoying pitch. Still pumps down easily into the E-6's Torr like before. Other than the noise, all seems OK. I don't have a manual for this. Wondering if it could need grease? Or is it on its way to becoming another doorstop?

After the first one blew up and I tried to replace the bearings twice without success, I picked this model because it's a lot newer and plentiful on ebay. If anything went wrong, I'd just grab another one and slap it in place with the old cable and controller instead of having to weld in new flanges, etc. But now that push may be coming to shove, the thought of another $800 doesn't sound so appealing.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Dan Knapp

Re: Noisy Edwards EXT250 Pump

Post by Dan Knapp »

A singing turbo is a prodrome to bearing failure The safest thing to do is replace the bearings before they fail.
Some bearing failures are catastrophic.
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

That high pitched whine is almost always the bearings starting to wear out. This happens due to physical shocks to the unit while running, high gas loads, or just long service life. If a turbo sits unused on a shelf for a long period, the bearings can also degrade. If you read the manual for most turbos, the recommended time between servicing is surprising short. Keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get progressively worse. If you can monitor the power draw on your turbo controller, that will also give a qualitative measure of it's health. A good turbo should only draw 10-20W when properly blanked off. If it is more like 100's of Watts, it is probably nearing the end of it's life.

The only real option to fix the situation is to send the unit in to the manufacturer for a rebuild. Expect to pay about 20-50% of the price of a brand new unit for that service. This is on the order of a few grand.

Generally, the bigger the turbo, the bigger this issue is and the faster it creeps up. 50 l/s mini turbos can be abused to hell and keep on running at reduced performance without catastrophic failure. The EXT250 is a mid size and can probably keep trucking along for a good while still but expect it to only get worse over time. At that size, it may not crash, but will draw more and more power and give lower and lower pressures. Any turbo you find second hand will almost certainly have been used long enough to be nearing its service date or have some other flaw; that is why they are selling it for cheap.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

>> A good turbo should only draw 10-20W when properly blanked off. If it is more like 100's of Watts, it is probably nearing the end of it's life.

If the extra power draw is due to bearing drag, then those extra watts must be turning into heat at the bearing(s). No wonder that phase of the life cycle is short.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Alpine bearing sells Turbo bearings, they have them for a lot of models, probably have one for yours. The prices are not bad.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Thanks for all the info, guys. I've got Alpine's site pulled up, but have no idea what bearings it takes- not in the manual. Hopefully they could tell me if I called.

Found turbovacuum.com. Only place I found that has a rebuild kit for this pump- $685. Have to talk to them first, but I'd assume it would include instructions? Might be worth it at that rate- can't find any youtube vids specifically for this pump either.

Found an unused rebuilt EXT250 by a pump company for $1800 obo on ebay. At least it's probably done right and ready to go.
3 ways I could probably go at this point. Need more info to decide.

Manual states inlet end is supported by a "frictionless magnetic bearing". Is that the same as a mag-lev? Didn't think this model was one of those.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Rebuilding a turbo isn't a slam-dunk; removing and replacing bearing(s) can be tricky. Also, removing blades isn't easy nor always simple - order can matter a great deal on some pumps (that is blades are not all the same) so keep that in mind if you disassemble a turbo. A mistake and the turbo might end up as junk and the cost of the kit is then "thrown away".

Buying a rebuild is straight forward but pricey as you see but at least it has a decent service life.

A diffusion pump is also a very inexpensive way to go and costs a small fraction of even a rebuild kit.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

No, not the same as mag-lev, it is a similar setup to what pfeiffer uses where they have permanent magnets at the top of the rotor and inside the spider on the housing. The magnets support the rotor.

The pfeiffers are pretty easy to replace bearings, the bearing is accessible from the bottom and since there is only one bearing, its pretty fast.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Dennis P Brown wrote:Rebuilding a turbo isn't a slam-dunk; removing and replacing bearing(s) can be tricky. Also, removing blades isn't easy nor always simple - order can matter a great deal on some pumps (that is blades are not all the same) so keep that in mind if you disassemble a turbo. A mistake and the turbo might end up as junk and the cost of the kit is then "thrown away".

Buying a rebuild is straight forward but pricey as you see but at least it has a decent service life.

A diffusion pump is also a very inexpensive way to go and costs a small fraction of even a rebuild kit.
Tried to fix the first one with new bearings twice- didn't go well. Failed both times and cost over $400 for 2 sets of bearings. But, it was very old and difficult to determine with confidence exactly what the correct bearings were. I know how tricky it can get. Sending this latest Edwards in for a rebuild would be in the thousands- out of the question. Cheaper to snag a fresh, newly rebuilt one off ebay.

Haven't had a chance to call on just getting bearings or the rebuild kit.

Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over, I'd probably start with a diff pump. Since I already have the cables, controller, setup , etc. for this turbo, I'm still bent on getting a working turbo instead of my grenade to be that I have now.
Last edited by David Kunkle on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ernest Rutherford
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Jerry Biehler wrote:No, not the same as mag-lev, it is a similar setup to what pfeiffer uses where they have permanent magnets at the top of the rotor and inside the spider on the housing. The magnets support the rotor.

The pfeiffers are pretty easy to replace bearings, the bearing is accessible from the bottom and since there is only one bearing, its pretty fast.
Hadn't thought to ask if any turbos were easier to repair if the worst happens again. Don't suppose there's any chance my Edwards controller and cable would work on a similar model Pfeiffer?

Ernest Rutherford
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

By the way, some turbo's can have ceramic based bearings available for skate boards. Needless to say, very inexpensive. You measure the size you need and just order it if available. Of course you need turbo oil or grease. There are You-tubes available on this subject.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Just talked to Alpine Bearing. $250 for both bearings. Not bad, right?

Well...also just talked to Turbo Vacuum about a rebuild kit for $700. Includes bearings and the wick- no instructions. But wait... it gets worse. Also need the special tools and this model really needs to be balanced. There's also the risk that the magnetic bearings at the top could sustain just a hairline crack during the process, and then you can kiss it goodbye. He said this model is one of the most difficult to rebuild, and he rated it a 9.8/10, 10 being the biggest pain in the ass. They carry "kits" for it because some companies have the tools, etc. to still do it in house. About $3000 to have them rebuild it.

It's essentially a doorstop as is. I may as well run it till it blows.

I found this EXT255 on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edwards-EXT-255 ... SwtnpXoDQr
Might be able to get it for around $400 and take a chance again that it's got more life in it than I need. Should bolt right in. Includes controller, but I don't understand what the other end/multi-pin connector plugs into? The controller for my EXT250 is a separate box that plugs into an outlet, and I don't need anything else. Obviously and unfortunately, I still need some other part to make it work.

Any suggestions for a good model turbo that has an ISO100 inlet. The outlet is no big deal if it isn't NW25- but I'm guessing most are.

Ernest Rutherford
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I have repaired extremely bent blades on intermediate sized turbo's that the company said was not repairable - on two different units (one still had the stray bolt lodged half way down!) The re-balance wasn't a problem - I just spun it by hand, looked along the blades and adjusted the blades by slight bending as needed; when that was good, I'd add power for a second (often placed a flate metal sheet between the blades to judge if the spin was flat or had a wobble) and listened for issues, too. Then by simple judgement, I'd bend some blades slightly to adjust the problem I detected - did it in under an hour for each unit; and the units both spin up to rev's 2K higher than before (that is, before the blades had been bent) and now do better vacuum (faster pump down.) That said, I have no idea on if this is possible with other turbos.

As for your ebay unit, simply ask the seller! They usually respond in a day or so.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Well that sucks. No, the drives are not interchangeable. Pfeiffer seems to really like two phase motors where others use three phase.

Looks like a good deal on the other edwards pump. The pic with the multi pin connect is just a pic without the little drive module installed. Nothing special. A lot of new turbos have the drives built in. I have three pfeiffer turbos from the 071 to 1000 and they all use the same drive that fits on the side, the only difference is the voltage you feed to the drive. 24v on the 071, 60v on the 500 and 140v on the 1000.

Oh, a lot of the smaller pumps around 300l/s and less are KF-16.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Started the turbo again this am to do some research. High pitched whine is noticeably worse and probably getting worse the longer it runs. Unfortunately, NOT my imagination for certain. About as loud as the first one before it blew, but the vacuum is still good. In fact, it just hit E-7 Torr according to my gauge. Seems to be working better with bad bearings. ;) (Or my chamber is better outgassed since it was open not too long ago, come to think of it)

I made an offer of $350 for the used Edwards 255H yesterday, and they countered with $400. New bearings. oil, wick, etc. just to attempt repair of this EXT250 (no guarantees there) would probably put me over that amount.

Dennis was right about asking the seller about what the controller plugs into. I'm too used to sellers having no clue because they're pickers that get the stuff at auction or buy out a whole lot of ancient university equipment. These guys specialize in used scientific equipment at least. Kind of what I thought- the EXDC80 controller is further controlled electrically elsewhere- which doesn't help me.

Then discovered on ebay another EXT255H with the exact model of controller I have running my EXT250! Sold as a running setup- except for a lot more $$$ than $400. Now I know I should just be able to slap this 255H in there without any mods to anything. Same vacuum fittings on both models, too.

So, dragging my feet on what to do, until I heard my pump run again this am. Accepted his offer of $400. Guaranteed not DOA. Comes with the EXDC80 controller; which seem to be going for at least $150 and up on ebay separately. If I sell the controller, the pump only cost me $250!

Then they sent me an email asking if I'd be interested in another of the exact same pump. Told them: No thanks- amateur budget, and I'm counting on this one lasting forever ;) .

Ernest Rutherford
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Ran the turbo several times lately. Went to start it yesterday and nothing- just sat there. Figured it seized a bearing after it spun down last time. Removed it tonight, and surprisingly, it spins freely. No wobble, grinding. etc. Seems fine. Tried to turn it on and nothing again. Turned the rotor a little to a different position, and it started. Little intermittent like that- starts most times. Put it all back together, and so far it spins up like usual, but still singing. Almost seems like a bad spot now where it won't engage electrically. Anyone know what this means?

Ernest Rutherford
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

When I got the "new" 255H, I attempted to hook it up to my old controller. Surprise! It doesn't connect. Certainly looks like it should, but the differences in the connectors are very subtle. Finally find out Edwards made 24V and 80V Models- with the same designation. Brilliant. My old turbo and controller are 80V; the new 255H is 24V. The seller was kind enough to outline how to make my own controller, plus the wiring diagram from the Edwards manual. Power cord from an old microwave, 24V 10A PS from ebay for $18, D-SUB VGA 15pin Female Adapter Jack Terminal Breakout PCB Board from ebay for $11 (didn't know there was any such thing- makes it sooo easy to connect all the wires on a 15 pin connector), some old wire, and the darn thing actually works for $29! Rotor starts to spin up like normal, though I haven't bolted it to my chamber yet.

In a previous post, I mentioned how there seems to be a dead spot on the rotor where the pump will not start. Happened again recently. Didn't feel like unbolting it, so I got the idea where I pump the chamber down with the roughing pump, switch on the turbo, then quickly open the up to air valve for a short time to force the rotor to turn from the air rushing thru it. Jump starts it just fine- except the bearing whine is still there of course. Temporary fix for a chronic problem, but it'll do until this 250 turbo finally blows up, and I replace it with the 255H above. Hope to sell the old controller for about $150. Not too bad- $429 for another working turbo setup minus $150 for old controller= $279 out of pocket.
Attachments
dzfjkl 001.JPG
dzfjkl 002.JPG

Ernest Rutherford
Silviu Tamasdan

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

David Kunkle wrote:When I got the "new" 255H, I attempted to hook it up to my old controller. Surprise! It doesn't connect. Certainly looks like it should, but the differences in the connectors are very subtle. Finally find out Edwards made 24V and 80V Models- with the same designation. Brilliant. My old turbo and controller are 80V; the new 255H is 24V. The seller was kind enough to outline how to make my own controller, plus the wiring diagram from the Edwards manual. Power cord from an old microwave, 24V 10A PS from ebay for $18, D-SUB VGA 15pin Female Adapter Jack Terminal Breakout PCB Board from ebay for $11 (didn't know there was any such thing- makes it sooo easy to connect all the wires on a 15 pin connector), some old wire, and the darn thing actually works for $29! Rotor starts to spin up like normal, though I haven't bolted it to my chamber yet.

In a previous post, I mentioned how there seems to be a dead spot on the rotor where the pump will not start. Happened again recently. Didn't feel like unbolting it, so I got the idea where I pump the chamber down with the roughing pump, switch on the turbo, then quickly open the up to air valve for a short time to force the rotor to turn from the air rushing thru it. Jump starts it just fine- except the bearing whine is still there of course. Temporary fix for a chronic problem, but it'll do until this 250 turbo finally blows up, and I replace it with the 255H above. Hope to sell the old controller for about $150. Not too bad- $429 for another working turbo setup minus $150 for old controller= $279 out of pocket.
Would you mind sharing the wiring schematic for the 24V EDXC160? The reason I'm asking is, I'm looking at purchasing an Edwards EXT255H and a controller; the pump is 24V so I need the 24V controller. I have looked at the schematic in the manual for the older model of the controller, the 80V one, and it's not hard to figure out. However the older controllers used a 9-pin connector, and the newer 24V ones use a 15-pin connector. But for the life of me, I can't find the manual for the 24V controller anywhere. Without the manual I don't know which pin is what on the newer connector.
There _is_ madness to my method.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Edwards turbos used to be relabeled Micro Seiki or Seiko Seiki pumps from Japan
We had a mass spec that used these pumps and they screamed right from new
In fact Health and safety came in and made everybody in the lab wear earmuffs.
We did a minor CAPEX and replace all of them with Phiffer turbos and sold the Seiko Seiki's on ebay to help defray expenses
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I managed to dig up the schematic for the controller. Only had a hard copy to scan in. Don't remember where I got it. You should be able to see the original wiring diagram thru my scribbling. My writing is how my non-electrical engineering degreed brain wired mine. Bottom of pg. 8 is what # wires I bundled together, and what the bundles got attached to. FWIW, not necessarily pretty, but it works perfectly, and it's dirt cheap.
EdwardsControllerB.pdf
(501.05 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
EdwardsControllerA.pdf
(305.83 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Although, after I read John's last post, I wish I could have read that a long time ago- explains a lot. Thinking my first Edwards was heading for bearing failure, I proactively bought the 2nd- not realizing of course that it took a different controller- and shelved the first one. Well, now this second one is making the same irritating high pitched noise and getting worse. Annoying, but I don't think I need earmuffs- yet. ;) "screamed right from new"? WOW! What did Edwards have to say about their singing turbos? I take it they were sold because you couldn't stand the noise after a while?

Anyways, I bought those Edwards partly because they seemed plentiful on ebay, so I thought they must have been good/popular and Edwards sold a lot of them originally. Now I'm thinking they're plentiful on ebay because nobody wants them!

You might want to rethink this whole Edwards EXT255 thing and go with something else.

Ernest Rutherford
Silviu Tamasdan

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
But you're right. I may pass onto this one. Especially since a pump+controller would set me back about $600 total, and since they're so problematic I'm going to stay with the small diffusion pump I have. But I'll save those documents just in case I change my mind at some point.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I read a while ago that the smaller pumps like the 50 or 70 lps turbos were a lot more bulletproof and less prone to bearing failure. I believe those are big enough for most fusor chambers. You may want to consider something along those lines.

Ernest Rutherford
Silviu Tamasdan

If I can find one. They seem to be fairly rare.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”