Small 2.75" flange diffusion pump!

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Robert Dwyer

Small 2.75" flange diffusion pump!

Post by Robert Dwyer »

So today my new diffusion pump came in the mail and I am very excited! It comes with what appears to be a copper cold trap, which aligns perfectly with the flange of my pneumatic valve i have set up to go to the vacuum a chamber. It also comes with a controller attached to the side.

A few questions though:

1. I do not have the type of pump needed to pump LN2 through the cold trap, so do I need to remove it from the pump or can I leave it?
2. What is the tubing near the bottom of the pump for? I know around the neck water is supposed to pumped through to cool the system, but I do not know why it would be needed at the bottom.

Below are the pictures of the new pump:

20161027_162210.jpg
20161027_162210.jpg
Top of the Controller
Top of the Controller
Controller Text
Controller Text
Tubing at the Bottom of the Pump
Tubing at the Bottom of the Pump
Attachments
20161027_162149.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Small 2.75" flange diffusion pump!

Post by Richard Hull »

The bottom cooling loop is a boiler cooler. Most often this is to allow a very rapid cool-down of the boiler at shut down. Allows the system to be shut down and let up to air quickly. Special valving is often used here. In the early days, a small amount of boiler cooling was often used in normal operation before thermostatic controls and proper design and matching of the heater to thermal metal mass limited the high end boiler temp.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Robert Dwyer

Post by Robert Dwyer »

Thank you for the reply Richard, that is good to know! Now, with regards to the cold trap mounted on top, I was thinking of possibly mounting a container of something like styrofoam around it and using a dry ice/acetone bath to cool it. Would that work, or am i better off just using LN2 or removing it?
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Thats not an LN2 trap, that is a water cooled trap.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”