Leybold turbovac 150CSV bearing problem

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Silviu Tamasdan

Re: Leybold turbovac 150CSV bearing problem

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

Rex Allers wrote: - The vent connection is KF-16 diameter but the center recess is too small to take a standard KF-16 centering ring. (Arrgh! Why?)
Can't comment on any of the other points because I have no experience with turbo pumps - but I've seen something similar in one of the diffusion pumps I own. It was part of a KF10-to-KF16 joint, both endplates were KF16 on the outside but one has a KF10 recess and the other a KF16 recess. It takes a special ring that is KF10 on one side and KF16 on the other. I have exactly one such ring, and I haven't seen one for sale anywhere (TBH I haven't really looked).
There _is_ madness to my method.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Those are called Adaptive Centering Rings and are reasonably common.
Silviu Tamasdan

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

Well, OK. I had never seen one before (nor needed one). Good to know.
There _is_ madness to my method.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

That turbo pump oil should be fine.

You can just get a KF10 center ring and a kf10 cap and seal it off, you dont need the purge line.

I have a big pfeiffer that uses oil and most of the hybrid bearing units do, they just use a oil cartridge. I think the oil they use is called TL011. There is also a fomblin oil which they use and it is considerably more expensive.

Call leybold, dont rely on just what you can find on the net.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Jerry, Thanks for the feedback on the oil.

On the vent connection, I have a lathe so I have turned a solution for closing the vent. Here's a pic of what I made.
Plug for 150CSV connection
Plug for 150CSV connection
The smallest step fits in the KF-10 ring hole. Next step is just a bit bigger than the o-ring ID. Top is turned at an angle to match a KF-16 fitting. O-ring is a KF-16 ring without the centering ring.

It's not drilled through so is just a cap to close it off now. If I later decide I want to use it, I think I could drill it through and epoxy some kind of plumbing into it.
Rex Allers
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

I just realized that the MSDS I downloaded for the Duniway Turbo Pump Oil says that it is Trade Name: TL 011.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Owning a lathe and having the knowledge to use it, smooths over a lots of ruts in the road. I call it "adaptive, survivalist machining". So many manufacturers of high-end scientific products seem to deliberatly go out of their way to use non-standard couplings, components,etc., to lock a customer up "in-house".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Yup, that will do it, the only difference between kf10 and 16 is the bore. And unless you are pushing corrosive gasses you wont need the purge line.

Having a lathe is nice. I have several. ;) I have even made conflat flange adaptors for ones old system I was modifying.

Nice to know about the oil from duniway. I really should have just used that in my big pfeiffer, it took me a long time to find some of the expensive pfieffer stuff until a follower on youtube pointed me to an ebay auction where I was able to pick up some.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Here's a bit more on the oil now that you've tipped me to TL-011.

The Duniway stuff is more expensive than other vendors at $0.50 / cc but 100cc should be plenty for me and I can drive over to pick it up, so no shipping and faster.

A&J Vacuum Services in NJ seems to have several options for 250 cc and up.
Turbo Pump Fluids
https://www.ajvs.com/new/index.php?cPath=164_235_320

They have TL-011 and a Cambridge Mills CM500 that is a bit cheaper and they say is equivalent to TL-011.

Just thought I would document another option for anyone who might need it.
Rex Allers
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

I just had a "Duh" moment on the purge fitting.

I'd never seen KF-10 fittings before. Looking at the outside dimensions for 10 (where it clamps), it is the same as KF-16. So I guess there is nothing funny about this port, it is just KF-10.

My home made solution should work and I don't need to order any KF-10 parts now, so I'll stick with it, but anyone else who might try to use one of these should find standard KF-10 is what you need.
KF_flanges_Figure6C.jpg
[Forehead slap.]
Rex Allers
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Yea, that fuzzed me for a couple weeks at least at one stage.

KF 10 and 16 are the same except for the bore and the corresponding o-ring used.

Tom
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

There's supposedly also a kf20 that is the same way. I have never seen it whereas KF10 is fairly common on old Pfeiffer rotary vane pumps. (The cube shaped ones).

The real problem is when you need a KF63 to KF100 adapter - and I don't mean ISO LF.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Just saw your post; the oil must be from the company (that is, one needs proper turbo pump oil and the given company is your best bet to get the correct oil. Which one is used? A rather large price range!) I understand such oil from the company is expensive but at least they will both sell you the correct oil and proper amount. They should also provide instructions if you ask. If the bearings turn out bad, and you paid top dollar for oil I'd think that would be a very annoying situation but all I can say is, if it turns smooth and noise free by hand, about all you can do without oil. Best of luck.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”