Leybold turbovac 150CSV bearing problem

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Tom McCarthy

Re: Leybold turbovac 150CSV bearing problem

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Yea, that fuzzed me for a couple weeks at least at one stage.

KF 10 and 16 are the same except for the bore and the corresponding o-ring used.

Tom
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

There's supposedly also a kf20 that is the same way. I have never seen it whereas KF10 is fairly common on old Pfeiffer rotary vane pumps. (The cube shaped ones).

The real problem is when you need a KF63 to KF100 adapter - and I don't mean ISO LF.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Just saw your post; the oil must be from the company (that is, one needs proper turbo pump oil and the given company is your best bet to get the correct oil. Which one is used? A rather large price range!) I understand such oil from the company is expensive but at least they will both sell you the correct oil and proper amount. They should also provide instructions if you ask. If the bearings turn out bad, and you paid top dollar for oil I'd think that would be a very annoying situation but all I can say is, if it turns smooth and noise free by hand, about all you can do without oil. Best of luck.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”