Foreline Testing

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Sam_Samida-Pugh

Foreline Testing

Post by Sam_Samida-Pugh »

Was finally able to do some foreline testing with my thermocouple gauge and 2 stage pump today, had some leaks at first but eventually worked it out and was able to get the vacuum down to what appears to be 15-30 microns (Rough Estimate). Hoping to get the rest of my chamber parts next week and I'll be able to test the Turbo Pump.

Thermocouple gauge
Attachments
Foreline3.JPG
Foreline2.JPG
Dennis P Brown

Re: Foreline Testing

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Your gauge head does not read microns! Obviously, units of torr (that is, millimeters of Hg!) That gauge can tell you that "The pump is running" but is useless for working with a fusor (However, very useful for sputtering systems or as a fore-line gauge. If either of those applications are its purpose then that gauge head is excellent.)

So how are you determining that you reached 30 microns? I seriously doubt the scale is accurate much below 100 microns and even that reading is likely +/- 20 microns or worse unless the unit is new or was recently calibrated - in which case the mfg instructions will provided the reading accuracy.)

My two stage surplus pumps both get me down to a few microns at worse (and after drying the oil using the air vent valve for an hour or so, under a micron) and those readings should be typical for that type of pump (the former, not necessarily the later.) Your pump might very well be reaching under 2-3 microns and you'd still read 30 microns or so using that gauge head/read-out unit. You need a proper micron scale gauge if you ever want to get useful readings with a two stage vacuum pump.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Dennis has a point, but your gauge does probably indicate you are, indeed, in the range of good demo fusor work, assuming it is in some sort of decent calibration. For proper fusion work you might want to acquire a normal and typical technical vacuum type foreline gauge that reads in microns. The investment is worth it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sam_Samida-Pugh

Post by Sam_Samida-Pugh »

Thanks for the insight, I understand the inaccuracy of my current gauge head and I'll keep an eye out for a better gauge readout.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”