ZJ-27 chinese ionization sensor

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Mark Kimball

ZJ-27 chinese ionization sensor

Post by Mark Kimball »

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the ZJ- series of hot cathode ionization sensors. Even with shipping from China they're pretty inexpensive (~$30 + $40 shipping). And the shipping cost is the same for multiple units.

The github open universal ion gauge controller page maintained by CERN mentions these units (that's where I learned about them). I suspect they use quite a few vacuum gauges so would be interested in a high bang/Euro ratio.

Mark
ian_krase

Re: ZJ-27 chinese ionization sensor

Post by ian_krase »

Can you provide links for both the tubes and the ion gauge github? I think I found something but not sure.

It looks like they have octal bases! If they're appropriate for an MKS 919, I might be interested in a group buy.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Ion gauges are not terribly complex, you wouldnt be able to use those tube with a standard B-A controller without making adjustments.

Standard BA controllers are really cheap and available. Heck, I have a couple extra ones lying around.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Wait, you wouldn't or you would?

I have a standard B-A controller. It has adjustable sensitivity. Are these not standard B-A tubes? Obviously they are not the classic side-nipple type.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

ian_krase wrote:Wait, you wouldn't or you would?

I have a standard B-A controller. It has adjustable sensitivity. Are these not standard B-A tubes? Obviously they are not the classic side-nipple type.
You would have to adjust your emission current I believe. I would just buy a standard gauge tube off ebay. They are not that expensive and less messing around.
Mark Kimball

Post by Mark Kimball »

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 84845.html

The "free shipping" appears to be a tease. The web page indicates $40 shipping but that doesn't change if ordering multiple units. These likely could be used with controllers that can be adjusted to accommodate the gauge operating parameters.

The cost of a DIY controller, if you want to go that route, obviously depends on the breadth and depth of your junkbox. However ebay can be hard to beat once you factor in your own time.

Mark

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”