Leybold D8C, a question

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Mark Kimball

Leybold D8C, a question

Post by Mark Kimball »

I recently acquired a Leybold D8C vacuum pump. It looks very clean -- no dings or other cosmetic issues. The sight glass is clean and so is the pump oil (the vendor didn't drain it from the pump before they shipped it!!). The vendor did perform a performance check with a thermocouple gauge and that looked OK. It also came with an oil mist filter, which looks pretty much unused. I think there's a good chance it is a good pump (I will know for sure when I get my TC gauge hooked up to it).

The interesting thing about this pump is that, according to Leybold USA, this pump was sold into to the Chinese market. Maybe that's what the "C" stands for in the product ID :).

My question is if there are any D8C owners out there and if they have had problems with them (or if there are things I should be aware of). Since it was not sold in the US there could be an issue w/regard to replacement parts. FWIW, the person I contacted at Leybold USA was very helpful, sending me the user manual and parts list even though it was clear I'm not an industrial user.

Thanks

Mark
Jerry Biehler

Re: Leybold D8C, a question

Post by Jerry Biehler »

No, the C is just the latest version of these pumps, the D8A and D8B came before them.

The pump itself should be identical to any other D8C pump.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

From both a safety and practicality standard point, best to drain and replace the oil. You have no idea what the pump was used for and really what condition the oil really is in or even if the oil is appropriate! When changing the oil, use gloves, and dispose of the oil properly (vacuum pump oil can be taken to any place that handles used motor oil.) Follow standard oil drain procedures - i.e. drain, fill, run (a few minutes), drain again and do a final re-fill. Consider cleaning (alcohol) the mist filter if it is a metal mesh. Dispose of that waste with the waste oil.
Mark Kimball

Post by Mark Kimball »

I am not going to even turn the pump on until I've got some fresh pump oil in it. As you say, who knows what the pump was used for in its previous life.

Mark

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”