Diff pumps cleanout

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Diff pumps cleanout

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The issue I have had with Indium is that it is single use. Has to be replace each time the components are dis-assembled. Also, steel expands a lot with temperature and Indium does not easily accommodate such expansions without being deformed in a permanent manner (when further compressed, it is going to have issues when the metal re-contracts) - that could be an issue for a diffusion pump that cycles. May not be an issue but do consider that.

Unless the issue is cryogenic mating surfaces or ultra-high vac (10^-7 and higher), I have no issues with low cost gaskets.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Isn't it also imminently remeltable though?
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Yep, it is. Its very soft too, you can put dents into it with your fingernail.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Indium is one of the softest of all the elements. I makes lead look like stainless steel. Some of the nasty metals like those on the extreme left of the chart might be softer but are unusable structurally or for most all purposes in the real world.

You can stand over a molten vat of indium, 153 deg C, with an inverted funnel and hose leading to your nose and snort th' stuff as it has, effectively, no vapor pressure until it gets near is monstrously high boiling point 2000 deg C.....3000+ deg F

You can write very nice, long, conductive paths on paper or wood with a stick of indium metal. I have had my hands turn silver handling the stuff. According to the "Rare Metals Handbook" there is no recorded case of industrial Indium heavy metals poisoning. As with many metals, there are rare instances recorded of contact dermititus with long term repeated handling.

Aluminum has far more industrial contact dermititus instances reported.

Indium is a fun metal, one of my favorites, and I have about 5 kilogams on hand.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”