Pfeiffer / Balzers TCP 380 repair

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Chris_Ludeman

Pfeiffer / Balzers TCP 380 repair

Post by Chris_Ludeman »

Hi

I just got hold of two broken TCP 380 turbo pump controllers. All fuses are OK - though they are from various manufacturers, so someone must have changed them previously. Sniff test and visual inspection of the PCBs do not indicate any obvious fault.

The various manuals on the interwebs say that normal operation requires a valve logic unit to be connected to X4, but direct mains connection is at least possible. I've handwired such a mains cable, but nothing happens when I try to start the device.

I have not worked with these controllers before, so I don't know the normal start-up behaviour. Does it even power up, when no pump or accessories are connected? Anyone with experience here who could give me pointers for fault finding?
Jerry Biehler

Re: Pfeiffer / Balzers TCP 380 repair

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Pretty sure the valve is not needed to get it to run. It is usually just for venting the pump under control of the controller.

Youre going to have to trace down the problem. Do you have experience working on mains voltage electronics? At the very least you will need a DMM and really are probably going to need an isolation transformer and a scope.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”