Debugging an Inficon PKR 251 Series Gauge

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Duncan Wilkie

Debugging an Inficon PKR 251 Series Gauge

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

So I got this gauge (2000+ new) for like $200 on eBay and I've been having some issues with it. I attached it directly to the output of my diff pump and pulled a vacuum through it with my backing pump, and got like 15 torr. The pump was very loud, so I assumed it was my shoddy job of re-using a conflat gasket. I replaced the gasket, and when I pulled vacuum again the pump was whisper-quiet after I closed the ballast. However, the gauge still read 15 torr. This may be an internal issue with my gauge, but I was wondering if this auditory indicator is a valid way of determining vacuum quality.
Thanks,
-Duncan
Some say the glass is half full. Others see it as half empty. I say it is twice as big as it needs to be.
ian_krase

Re: Debugging an Inficon PKR 251 Series Gauge

Post by ian_krase »

Rotary vane pumps definitely get quiet when the pressure and gas load are small, but it's not terribly sensitive.
Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Could be a problem with the pirani element, they are known to go bad on these gauges.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Send it back and get your money back, I usually dont spend more than $100 on these units.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”