throttle valve

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.

throttle valve

Post by guest »

Does anyone can give me a place where I can buy a refurbished throttle valve. I tried Bid Service and they don't have the size I need 7 5/8" inside diameter and 11" outside diameter 2" thick. Thank's for anykind of lead I can get.

Re: throttle valve

Post by guest »

Are you looking for a butterfly or a gate valve? Depending on how patient you are. the right valve may pop up on Ebay. I have gotten my share of gate valves that way, though of the smaller persuasion. I have also seen small butterfly valves and radial sector throttle valves offered there. If you are in a hurry and don't mind paying real money, you might try some other used outfits like Capovani and Johnstone Associates. Duniway also offers some refurbised valves.

Post by guest »

I didn't thought we could find this kind of stuff on Ebay!

If a butterfly valve is a flat disk that we can control the aperture, my answer is no. The current belief here (my workplace) is that you won't get out of those valves as much control over the pressure of the chamber that you would have by using a throttle valve.

The system we have right now is: chamber, throttle valve and gate valve. Again, I don't know if I have the right definition but for us a gate valve is something that can be in two states: open or close with not much control in the in-between position.

Our old throttle valve is not radial. All her strips are parallels. She's also manual. I mean by that that the inclination of the palms is control by a micrometer. Now we want to automate the system. Were thinking of using a step motor or a solenoid with a gauge and a controller to maintain the pressure constant. What do you think?

Thank you for the used outfit tips.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

You haven't said exactly what you attempting to do, but one way to get reasonably good throttling, is to use a small diameter vacuum line with a needle valve to bypass your main high Vacuum Gate or Butterfly valve.

You can use the restrictive effects of the small diameter line to good advantage improving the control sensitivity. If you are looking for a high volume small pressure difference throttling action, then this bypass method probably might not work too well.

Dave Cooper
quinnrisch

Post by quinnrisch »

If you are NOT looking for high quality, high percision, automated control of the vacuum, a (non-leaking) ball valve will work just fine.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”