Leak -- Help

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Starfire

Leak -- Help

Post by Starfire »

Got me a LDS model SC-4 Calibration Gas Leak
-- 4.25x10e-8 Helium , Can this be use with a Deuterium system? ( will the Helium contaminate the system? ) or can I charge it with Deuterium -- then what is the leak rate likely to be? will it be out of cal ?
Thanks John
DaveC

Re: Leak -- Help

Post by DaveC »

John - aren't these He leaks precharged? don
t think you can fool with the gas without totally messing up the calibration. Also the leak rates are either in Torr Liters-sec or possibly std cc per sec.

If you are operating in the glow discharge plasma regime (20 - 100 micron) or even down to 10-5 Torr. Leak rates in the 10-8 range would make neglible effects on the typical short duration fusion run. At the higher pressures for glow discharge regime operation, the leak would cause only a few ppm per sec, pressure effect.

Dave Cooper

Re: Leak -- Help

Post by guest »

Thanks Dave --- yes they are precharged - thats the problem, if I want to use Deuterium in the fusor I don't really want He4 in it as well - I am confused enought as it is. I intent to use the rate as the calibration for my gauges, rather than as a feed leak-- so the low input should not be a problem --- heheh that's of course if I ever get down to the level where it will make a difference.
John

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”