vacuum specs for bell system

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.

vacuum specs for bell system

Post by guest »

To: Jon rosenstiel

I really like your setup with the bell Jar.
I it possible to get a parts list.
What spec pump ?
What spec diffusion pump?
My original intention was to use sorbtion pumping but
I live in the sticks , liquid nitrogen takes about an hour
trip to my house.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: vacuum specs for bell system

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Hi Larry,

I'm away from home right now, so I'm relying on memory, (not a good thing)! Towards the end of the week I'll be home and can give you the exact specs on the pumps.

Anyway, (from memory):
The backing pump is a small Leybold rotary, (I think the smallest they make). The diffusion pump is a water-cooled, 2 inch, quite old Veeco. I'm guessing that just about any 2 inch water cooled diff pump would perform the same.

I ended up with these particular components mainly because they were good deals on ebay. (Nobody else wanted them)!

I'll give you the model numbers this weekend.

Jon Rosenstiel

Post by guest »

Thank- you Jon

I just started the ebay raffle hunt to build my fusor.
Interested in fusors and Plasma Focus.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Hi Larry,

Ok, here's the exact specs on my pumps....
The backing pump is a Leybold model D1.6B and it'll pump at a rate of 1.13cfm. An e-bay purchase a couple of years back. Was brand new in the box and I paid around $500.00 for it. I believe they're $1100.00 to $1200.00 new!

The diffusion pump is a H2O cooled Veeco model EP2-5W with a 350W heater. I would guesstimate it to be about 35 years old. Another e-bay item. I think I paid around $100.00 for it. It has a strange flange, so lathe work was necessary to adapt it to my gate valve.

The gate valve is a CVC, ( yet another e-bay item)! It too has outdated flanges, (6 bolt ASA). Think I paid $40.00 for it.

Well, I think that about covers it, if you need more info please ask away! I'll be happy to help if I can.

Jon Rosenstiel
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Larry -
You should be able to get a small Welch or similar.. 25 lpm (1400 or 1405 ? ) for a couple hundred $$ at a surplus store.. Out here in CA, they seem to be pretty plentiful..

Dave Cooper
Jon Rosenstiel wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> Ok, here's the exact specs on my pumps....
> The backing pump is a Leybold model D1.6B and it'll pump at a rate of 1.13cfm. An e-bay purchase a couple of years back. Was brand new in the box and I paid around $500.00 for it. I believe they're $1100.00 to $1200.00 new!
>
> The diffusion pump is a H2O cooled Veeco model EP2-5W with a 350W heater. I would guesstimate it to be about 35 years old. Another e-bay item. I think I paid around $100.00 for it. It has a strange flange, so lathe work was necessary to adapt it to my gate valve.
>
> The gate valve is a CVC, ( yet another e-bay item)! It too has outdated flanges, (6 bolt ASA). Think I paid $40.00 for it.
>
> Well, I think that about covers it, if you need more info please ask away! I'll be happy to help if I can.
>
> Jon Rosenstiel

Post by guest »

Thanks Dave, I will try that out , I've got relations that live in L.A.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Here's a place that may something you need....
Associated Vauum Technology Corp. out in So. California. They're in Covina. They rebuild pumps, chambers and most things for vacuum. Have nearly every kind of pump. It's where I purchased the ballast valve for my old Welch 1400 pump.
Earl Opperman is the Service Mgr., and a good guy to
know.

Web Site : www.avtvac.com
Email: www. info@avtvac.com
Phone :626 967 3869

Dave Cooper

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”