vacuum valves

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.

vacuum valves

Post by guest »

What is the simplest useable vacuum valving arrangement for a working fusor? I assume this means at least a roughing and diffusion pump, and I want to know what to watch e-bay for. Thanks all.
Jim
Richard Hull

Re: vacuum valves

Post by Richard Hull »

The simplest valving for a demo fusor consists of only a single valve. This would isolate the fusor device from the roughing pump. For a working, fusing, neutron producing fusor, two valves would be the minimum, preferably on each side of a trap in the foreline. More complicated valving is needed with a diffusion or turbo pump which often have a gate valve in addition to several other valves.

A simple neutron fusor valving and gas system schematic was supplied by me and is found in a recent link in the links forum. One can never have enough valving, but for each valve added, at least two new major leak points are added.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”