Bio Pharm fittings

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
daniele

Bio Pharm fittings

Post by daniele »

Has anyone details about vacuum performances of bio pharm fittings ?
I have seen em used in a pharmaceutical environment down to 10-4 torr... Techincians told me about vacuum proofness, but if someone here is better advised... i accept any help !

Ciao
Daniele

Re: Bio Pharm fittings

Post by guest »

Lookout for plastic gaskets or packing. It may be rated for that high a vacuum but and this is a big but it may out gas mightly .... I tried plasic stuff years back switched back to old fashioned "wrung" copper gaskets. Unless the plastic is a viton derivative or clone.

Good luck
Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I would second Larry's observations on the outgassing. If you have the time to wait...might be overnight... once degassed, most plastics are usually good for the 10-5 torr.. or possibly a bit lower.

But temp is a big factor. And the number of times it will be back up to atmosphere.

Dave Cooper
daniele

Post by daniele »

Yes, dedicated vacuum stuff is better...
I was just a little curious about that kind of flanging.

Tnx anyway for help. :)

Daniele

Post by guest »

The biopharm fittings (Tri-clover) are a variant of the common KF vacuum fitting. KFs are not suitable for pharmaceutical or food processing applications because of the small trapped areas between the o-ring and the center ring that are hard to sterilize. In terms of vacuum characteristics they are roughly equivalent and the elastomers will do all the things elastomers do: outgas and permeate.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”