TCP040 and TCP121 controllers. External 'logic' settings.

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Chris Bradley

TCP040 and TCP121 controllers. External 'logic' settings.

Post by Chris Bradley »

I'm looking for some info on whether there are any 'logic' connections that need to be made across any of the supply socket pins to get these things running. (There certainly is on my varian controller, so I presume it is typical on turbo controllers for it to be so.)

Following my successful haul of turbo booty I have also got a hold of a TCP121 controller in addition to the TCP040 that I acquired to run a TPH050 turbo.

The thing is, though I have the right cable to connect each to the TPH050 (they are compatible) I do not have the mains connection cable.

So I have now acquired the circuit diagrams for both and have connected mains directly to "a2/b2" on the 16-pinned input socket of the TCP121, and similarly directly to "a2/b1" of the 12 pins of the TCP040, as the respective circuit diagrams indicate, but... zip, nothing happens.

The options are that I have two duff controllers, but equally (given the now dual lack of success) is that there are logic interlocks I have to link up on that connector block, but I just don't really see what those are supposed to be straight off the diagrams. Maybe I'm not supposed to know... does anyone know what/if I'm doing wrong?
John Futter

Re: TCP040 and TCP121 controllers. External 'logic' settings.

Post by John Futter »

Chris

I'm not familiar with these controllers but all the others I've seen you have to connect at least two pins together these pins can be used with external blocks to control the pump controller ie start turbo when backing pressure acceptable ,stop turbo if backing or chamber side at too high a pressure etc

look for start /stop signal lines and there should be a common --on some controllers common is 0 volts while on others I have seen 10 volts, and 5 volts

hope this helps
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Chris
I'm now back at work after the Xmas break

found a manual have scanned the relevant pages into PDF for you

I will not go in this reply I'll put it in the files section
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

A nice chap at Pfeiffer has advised what my issue is.

I have a cable with what I thought was a switch box for a vent valve. Apparently it is, in fact, a cable to operate a pump with an oil pump in it, or something like that.

Point is, you might've thought that if you've got a Pfeiffer cable with a Pfeiffer connector to a Pfeiffer controller at one end and a Pfeiffer connector to a Pfeiffer pump at the other and it's the right Pfeiffer controller for that Pfeiffer pump, then using that cable should work. Apparently not..... wrong assumption...!

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”