My Ferrite Transformer

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Bob Reite

My Ferrite Transformer

Post by Bob Reite »

People have asked for details of the ferrite transformer I'm using. I did not design or build it myself, one of the board members was selling things off and I bought the commercially built 8 stage CW from him as well as the transformer. I'm not sure who originally built and designed the transformer. I did get spare cores with it, so I know the data. It's TSC Ferrite International "TSF-50ALL" with an initial permeability of 3,000 u and a saturation flux density @15 oereteds of 5,000 Gauss. The two cores are a one inch square cross section. The primary of each core is 5 turns of #14 THHN wire wound directly on the bottom leg. The secondary of each core is on two bobbins made of 2" OD PVC, with "filler" cut to center them on the core. These are wound with #26 insulated wire with a blue substance that I do not know the composition of. The wire with insulation is .019 diameter. The wire is close wound single layer, total winding length is 1.9 inches, so that would be 100 turns. The two windings of a core are connected in series. The primaries of the two cores are connected in parallel, the secondaries are connected in series to give a center tapped secondary to drive the full wave CW multiplier.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”