Removing NST Center Tap

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Charles Vorbach

Removing NST Center Tap

Post by Charles Vorbach »

It's a snow day and that means fusion reading!

So I found another great trick on Andrew Seltzman's website Image.

He shows how to remove the potted NST from its case and insulate the center tap from ground. If you ground one terminal, this gives you the full voltage between the other terminal and ground. Even better, you can use bridge rectification and still ground the case.

For demo fusors, this could make using cheaper 9kv and even 5kv transformers a possibility. For those who already have 15kv transformers, they could greatly increase power they can supply.

Even modified this way, the transformer would only produce 2/3 nameplate current and voltage, so you couldn't quite get 30kv@10mA required for fusion with a 15kv 30mA NST and 2 or 3 stage CW multiplier, but you could with a rarer 15kv 60mA NST. Also you could place multiple transformers in parallel to get more current as Jack Williams thought of. One note however, the large 15kv capacitors needed to avoid huge drop and ripple voltages would likely exceed the cost of the transformers themselves.

As high voltage goes, this is a pretty safe way to 15kv at a usable currents. Other than x-ray transformers, I can't think of amateur power supply that is as simple and as powerful.
Charles Vorbach

Re: Removing NST Center Tap

Post by Charles Vorbach »

I did the calculations on the 3 stage CW multiplier and with the linked $199 15kv 2uF capacitors, a mains frequency 15kv 60mA NST would produce 86kv with 500v ripple. I am starting to understand why CW multipliers are only useful for big labs, high frequency switch mode supplies, and 0 load functions!

Still it is amazing you can push these devices to such high voltages.

Capacitors:http://hvstuff.com/high-voltage-capacit ... -2uf-15kv/
Introduction to Multipliers(with math):http://blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp
Bob Reite

Re: Removing NST Center Tap

Post by Bob Reite »

I'm doing OK with my eight stage full wave CW multiplier. But it operates with a ferrite transformer at 30 KHz.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”