X-RAY Transformer Oil

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Cameron Palte

X-RAY Transformer Oil

Post by Cameron Palte »

Hello,

I am about to bite the bullet and purchase an X-RAY Fusor to start with fusion - if I buy it it would arrive on 5/13. This thing is huge - it weighs 200 lbs without any oil in it.

Which brings me to my next question. I understand that these X-RAY transformers use mineral oil? Do I need a specific kind of mineral oil like transformer oil or would regular mineral oil work?

Also, how would one go about filling the transformer will oil. If I just pour in the oil will it work, do I need to shake it around as I pour in the oil, or is this anything else specific I need to do.

Thanks Ahead,
Cameron Palte
Richard Hull

Re: X-RAY Transformer Oil

Post by Richard Hull »

Pure un-scented Mineral oil is fine, Shell makes Diala X which is specifically made for HV transformers. You are gonna' have to buy in bulk. It might take several gallons of oil.

Just pouring it in is fine, but you can't just shake a 200lb item. Normally, a light vacuum is pulled on the transformer and oil is admitted but you probably can't do this. After filling, leave the oil cap plug off and roll it around the place of a cart. If the floor has some deliberately place bumps, this will help bring the bulk of the bubbles to the surface.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cameron Palte

Post by Cameron Palte »

Richard Hull wrote:Pure un-scented Mineral oil is fine, Shell makes Diala X which is specifically made for HV transformers. You are gonna' have to buy in bulk. It might take several gallons of oil.

Just pouring it in is fine, but you can't just shake a 200lb item. Normally, a light vacuum is pulled on the transformer and oil is admitted but you probably can't do this. After filling, leave the oil cap plug off and roll it around the place of a cart. If the floor has some deliberately place bumps, this will help bring the bulk of the bubbles to the surface.
Ok thanks - do you know where to buy diala x - i did some searching and couldn't find anywhere it was sold.

I was thinking about putting a jack up or something under on side of the transformer and then raising / lowering it as I poured in the oil but putting it on a caster with a bumpy ground would work well.

Glad to know I don't need to pull a vacuum - I had no idea how I was going to do that.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Search under "Shell, Transformer oil" or just "Transformer oil". I never bought any, but the Tesla buffs use it all the Time. All my work involved capacitor fillings with oil and I just bought virgin Mineral oil.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Cameron
Ask your local utility where they get their transformer oil.
They will have a supplier of new or a source of reconditioned / refined oil

I have done this to get small quantities ie a couple of gallons and I ended up paying about $15 per gallon

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”