X-ray transformer modifications

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Jim Stead

Re: X-ray transformer modifications

Post by Jim Stead »

Hi Roberto,

Unfortunately, I have not used the transformer under a load yet.
I continue to "bounce" it occasionally, and have brought power up a few more times.
I'm happy with the way it came out, and I expect that it will work well.
If I was to do this again, the only thing I would do differently is to keep in under oil when I am not actively working on it.

Jim
Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Hi Jim

You mention that because you had problems with trapped air or just because that way to handle it left you with a unsafe feeling?

Roberto
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

I haven't had any problems with trapped air yet, but I'm also not operating it under a load or at the higher voltages it's capable of producing.

There wasn't any benefit to leaving it out of oil for as long as I did. I could have easily lowered back into the oil when I wasn't working on it.
That's what I'm recommending. I think it's a mistake to leave the coils exposed to air any longer than they need to be, since that could allow air, and moisture, to work their way deeper into the windings.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”