2MV Input supply question.

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Hoguem715

2MV Input supply question.

Post by Hoguem715 »

Good Day!

I have a few questions for everyone,
I had gotten my hands on two 1000Kv impulse voltage generators with about .002A of current, used to simulate lightning strikes on equipment.
They are pulsed DC wired in series, but I am under the impression that .002A wouldn't work to truly achieve a fusion reaction. Would there be a way to amp up (no pun intended) the current safely to power a fusor device?

I also have a negative ion generator that is 8Kv and registers 2100 CPM at optimum spacing in open air on a GM counter. Would it be beneficial to integrate that in any way?
I may also add that either wire for the output seems to be the same polarity because it will not arc to the other wire, the only arc would be if anything would contact the 12V battery, so I found that to be a bit odd.

Pardon my ignorance but I am a chemistry student, not an electrical engineer.
Jerry Biehler

Re: 2MV Input supply question.

Post by Jerry Biehler »

The impulse voltage generator is probably a Marx Generator. Not at all useful for a fusor even with modifications. Possibly the cap charging power supply inside might be but I doubt it.

The ion generator is useless as well for a fusor. They are usually in the microamps range of output. The reason it is setting off a geiger counter is probably the counter's input amp is not well shielded and it is picking up noise from the ion generator HVPS.
John Futter

Re: 2MV Input supply question.

Post by John Futter »

Mathew
Welcome
Please read the board rules
You are supposed to introduce yourself in the appropriate forum before posting elsewhere.
While you are at it please change your user name to equal your real name

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”