ADDITIONAL Sources of High Voltage Safety Info

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Alexander Leverone

ADDITIONAL Sources of High Voltage Safety Info

Post by Alexander Leverone »

I've read the FAQ here on high voltage safety, but I'm really interested in reading a lot more about high voltage safety before I turn on my HV circuits. For grounding, I have a ton of resistors for resistor strings as voltage dividers to supply at least 100Megaohms per 10kv and to bring the voltage way down below the insulation's rating before it enters my house's ground. The dividers would also be in the actual circuit and not just at the exit to ground, so that it isn't a path of higher resistance. My basement is concrete but I'll be out on the grass for this. I have 5, 10watt ceramic resistors to put on the end of pvc pipe which will be used to discharge any capacitors. I'll also discharge multiple times, and actually instead of the pvc I might just keep all capacitors separate and detachable from circuitry so they can be better contained and left isolated and probably grounded long term storage for this "dielectric memory" I've heard of, to not have any possibility of issues. I have some no slip rubber feet covers from working in a vegetable cutting room. Not going to playing around with spark gaps. Data coming from my devices will hopefully be transmittable over the wifi of a raspberry pi, not interested in going within a distance close enough to the thing where falling on it would put me at risk. 20kv is the highest I'll likely go for any projects anytime soon. Going to start with a little ccfl inverter at 1200v and 6ma. That requires a 24v ac adapter, any supply will be in a long extension cord loop coming from the opposite direction of the ground line. Ground line will be kept short but will take some length to get to the actual ground wire that's 8 feet in the ground. There is a little tip area that MIGHT be connectable on the actual ground wire 8ft in the ground, but this is right below the meter and I dont want to risk breaking anything or having an experiment which might not be grounded.

My actual question is for any more reading material and any more suggestions/advice, always willing to go an extra mile for safety

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”