High speed HV mosfet switch

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Peter Schmelcher

Re: High speed HV mosfet switch

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

The FET gate looks like a capacitor and if the circuit driving it has high impedance when not changing state the charge will stay put. One transformer puts the charge on the gate the other removes it. I think it can even be done with zeners and switching diodes and a single transformer. Create a 10 volt drop either polarity in series with the transformer and drive the transformer to have a +-20V output pulse. I would put a zener across the gate to protect it from over voltage damage.

I think the iCoupler has 3 pulse transformers per gate driver inside the ic. One just powers the output circuit and the other two are set reset flip-flop signals.

-Peter
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

This is what I meant if wanted, once the zener conducted it changes the voltage divider to always stay on, the only way to stop it conducting is a negative back elf which is made at the speed the zener switch off from Alachua other it stays on.
Attachments
tmp_22378-IMG_20161204_082225-1955745111.jpg
Andrew Haynes
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Pretty hard to tell whats going on in the driver circuit. Willing to bet the mosfets are all matched before they are assembled into a unit. Pretty neat little unit. Sure beats using a giant vacuum tube like my e-beam power supply uses.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”