Connecting resistors to the high voltage cable

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
hong_yi

Connecting resistors to the high voltage cable

Post by hong_yi »

Hello. My group is intending to buy a Spellman transformer. The cable suggested by Spellman is Claymount mini federal standard x ray connector. My concern is how do we connect ballast resistors and bleeder resistors to the main high voltage cable. I suppose we would need to cut the cable and solder the resistor and then insulate the resistor. May I know what would be a good insulator for the resistors and the cut open area for the soldering or if there is any alternative to soldering?

Thank you very much.
Rich Feldman

Re: Connecting resistors to the high voltage cable

Post by Rich Feldman »

Welcome.

Your question belongs under New User Chat Area. Or not being posted at all, because you can find the answer in minutes or hours by reading FAQ files and using the forum search tool.

Please study some pictures of ballast resistors in actual fusor setups.
You should be able to figure the voltage withstanding requirement and electrical power dissipation of yours, and then estimate its physical size. How hot will it get if surrounded by insulation?

It's good that you have a plan for bleeder resistors, but they might already be part of your HV power source. Perhaps you are using the electrical term _transformer_ too broadly. Is the Spellman brand found on any step-up transformers, not HV isolation transformers?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”