Precipitator power supplies?

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Shireesh Apte

Re: Precipitator power supplies?

Post by Shireesh Apte »

Thanks Silviu, Dennis

The 50 Watts was enough to generate plasma. It will obviously not do fusion. Having obtained a plasma (and hence some funding - which I desperately need) based on proof-of-concept, I can now turn my attention toward fusion proper. Before I abandon the electroprecipitator, I will measure the output once I have the requisite input device. I am less concerned with how efficient (or inefficient) the transformers themselves are so long as they output the required volts and amperes needed (considering that my end result -fusion - is itself extremely inefficient with this experimental setup).

I will post all the hardware I have acquired in the 'construction' part of the posts.

By the way, I aim to find out to what vacuum I can reach with my plasma supplies and two rotary vane pumps 1]connected in series and 2] connected in parallel. I know there is a probably a lot of literature that already exists on this. However, since I have the supplies and it is an easy enough experiment; at a minimum; it will be experience gained.
Best,
Shireesh
Silviu Tamasdan

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

With rotary vane pumps connected in parallel, I don't think you will see a higher vacuum than with one pump, but you will probably achieve that vacuum faster. With pumps in series, I think that you will have issues with oil from the first pump being sucked into the second one. These usually aren't designed to have anything connected after them.
There _is_ madness to my method.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Don't connect rotary vane pumps in series. Bad idea.

There's a kind of mechanical pump meant to go in series with a rotary vane pump, called a Roots Blower, but you probably don't need one and they are usually huge industrial devices any way.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Agreed that series with your pumps isn't a good idea; parallel, while it will make things a bit faster that arrangement will not get a system any lower. If the pumps can't get down below 50 microns (the least for a DP to operate in a fairly safe manner), then they simply aren't sufficient for the job; however, I still believe your pumps aren't the issue but the connectors you use for both the pumps and that vacuum gauge (with its highly questionable connector methodology.) Get a micron gauge that uses standard vacuum connectors - KF stuff isn't expensive if one looks carefully on ebay and explores what surplus companies offer. One can get absolute steals if one is careful.

No fusor project can get off the ground until a viable vacuum system exists - period. Focus on that; otherwise, you are wasting resources.

For instance - you need to convert your vacuum pump to some type of KF fitting. Here is a possible fitting type for your pump:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Male-BSPT- ... SwPDZZdDK-

This is a new adapter and very low cost; yes, you will then need a TC gauge (or similar) with a matching KF fitting but that is how one starts to build a leak proof, usable fusor vacuum system. Think this out before buying more power supply's, or a DP or deuterium gas.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

People have connected rotary pumps in series, you can get a lower vacuum. How much, who knows. You wont hurt anything.

Parallel will get better throughput.

Just get a good vacuum pump to start with. I have a friend that is selling a whole bunch of nice adxien (alcatel) pumps. Not cheap, but a good price.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”