Christmas Comes Early!

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
ian_krase

Re: Christmas Comes Early!

Post by ian_krase »

Oh, by the way, what's a good way to mount your ballasts (so that arcing won't be an issue)?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

A FAQ about a person getting charged from an HV supply is probably not needed. Humans are leaky enough so that only a mild "winter door knob shock" would be possible and our voltages are no where near the needed 70kv++ level of large accumulated isotropic charge. Just know that if the hair on your arm starts to rise you are charging. Move away and leak down naturally. At our super low voltages of 40kv or less it would demand a huge corona and horrid construction to charge a person. Nearby grounded objects will usually stop such leaking corona from charging nearby humans.

You can easily take a two foot, 200,000 volt arc to a wrench in your hand from a "well built" Tesla coil....Provided...... you pluge the wrench into the arc. Approaching the discharge terminal in a timid manner prior to the arc will produce nasty leakage streamers directed at the metallic item and you will feel a nasty, lower current DC rectified voltage that will not be pretty. Van de graff generators can be nasty. The larger the terminal (capacity), the more horrid the shock. Smaller "toy" electrostatic generators are not very dangerous due to a much smaller terminal capacity.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Ok, that's reassuring. (and all I got were doorknob shocks).
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

Earlier in this thread there was some discussion of paralleling two PTV supplies. Andrew stated that he had done so successfully by connecting the current monitor output of one to the current program of the other. I suggest that an FAQ on connecting power supplies in parallel would be a useful addition. Might Andrew be willing to write one?
Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt »

What is the complete list of modifications required for 350 watt operation?

I've added a fan and replaced both R50 and C39. What do I need to change R23/R24 to?

Thanks!
Youngest person to build a fusor

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”