High Voltage System Approval

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Steven_Udotong

High Voltage System Approval

Post by Steven_Udotong »

Hi Fusor Friends,

I've reached the stage my project in which I'm essentially done setting up the high voltage system. I would like to have my final setup approved by someone with experience before I switch it on.

Does anyone from South Jersey have some time to come to my house to view it next week? Or is it possible for me to PM pictures of the circuitry setup to anyone?

Thanks for all the support everyone!

Best,
Steven
Werner Engel

Re: High Voltage System Approval

Post by Werner Engel »

Hi Steven!

Why not post some pictures?
I will be happy to tell you what I know from my personal experience (if our PS are similar) ...

BR,
Werner
Steven_Udotong

Post by Steven_Udotong »

Hi Werner,

Thanks for the suggestion. Please visit this link below to see the pictures:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Anyone else reading please give me some feedback on the setup.

Best,
Steven
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Steven
It is far better to upload the pictures to this site because

Google drive might disappear and then we are left with a topic with no pictures
This goes for Photobucket or whatever picture sharing site

It is easy to upload files especially if you resize re-sample to 1024 x 768 pixels

free software such as irfanview works great for photo manipulation
Werner Engel

Post by Werner Engel »

It seems that someone else tried the same power supply in 2015: http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10040
The model looks a little bit to small for such a large power. So I think it might be constructed for pulse operation only??
Connecting a mass cable should be done in a professional way – reducing possible contact resistance and failures. The copper band you use looks fine – but the pipe it is connected to looks strange to me!

I would be very careful doing anything with this PS! Try to measure the inside resistance of all the connectors and have a look where there is high resistance and low resistance. This might help you identifying the right connectors. And you should try to get the manual!!
When operating the PS (only using the VARIAC and start at the lowest voltage) – keep distance to every conducting thing which comes close – at least 2 feet!
And have a HighVoltage probe ready to measure any voltages coming out of the PS.
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

Steven, A water pipe is not a good ground for a high voltage power supply. You can find a better ground in a nearby electrical outlet or wire. Tape is not sufficient for the connection either. Your ground cable needs to be mechanically attached to the ground, by screw pressure or something similar.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”