Tripling Voltage

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Jackson Oswalt

Tripling Voltage

Post by Jackson Oswalt »

Hello!

So the other day I purchased a Fluke 410b 10kv dc power supply, which I know isn’t enough. My question is wether or not it’s possible to multiple the voltage in order to get to 30kv? And that brings me to my next question. What exactly is the required voltage? I know it’s around 30kv dc, but Every fusioneers setup I’ve seen has a 33000 volt sign on it. Is that just because they don’t make 30kv signs or is it really that specific? I’m happy to supply any info about the power supply I can.

Thanks!
Youngest person to build a fusor
Rich Feldman

Re: Tripling Voltage

Post by Rich Feldman »

>> 10kv dc power supply, which I know isn’t enough.

Enough for what?

Who are you? We don't see anything by you in the Please Introduce Yourself forum, as required in some rules in the registration dialog. Guess you didn't read them, or figured they didn't apply in your case.

To save you from having to scroll, I will copy and paste here the full name of the subforum you chose for post #1:
‹ Construction / Technical Do not post simple questions here. Use the New User Chat area
‹ High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)

Actually, Jackson, you are not off to a bad start here. You got the real name user ID part right the first time, which is better than I did. :-) Welcome to fusor.net.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt »

Alright, so I’ll admit it was quite rude and maybe even slightly disrespectful of me to undermind the required “initiation”. However, I do not agree with your choice of wording and tone what-so-ever. You asked “Enough for what?” Enough for what?!? This is Fusor.net. Enough for a fusor! Although I appreciate your last comment, I’d appreciate you keeping your anger to yourself much more. Cheer up. Things aren’t so bad.
Youngest person to build a fusor
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

The FAQs detail this pretty well. And this is a very much "it depends" subject -- a weak power supply can be compensated for with really good practice and good detection.

The main issue is that multiplying a high voltage DC is generally considered a nonstarter.

High voltage switching supplies usually go:

Wall line AC -> DC low-ish voltage (50-200V) -> high frequency low-ish voltage AC -> transformer -> high-ish voltage AC (a few kV) -> multiplier -> high voltage AC.

There's no reason it's impossible, but there are very good reasons that hardly anybody does it.

A better option would be to use this as a high-grade demo fusor supply or for ancillaries like ion sources.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The only sign I have ever seen on a fusor touting 33,000 volts is on mine. (fusor IV). My fusor usually runs about 42,000 volts when doing its best.

The sign??.....

I found it discarded at a scrap yard, paid a buck for it and hung it up to show that at least that voltage was present at any given moment.

Read the high voltage FAQs for all the info you need.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”