Matsusada Power Supply Cable

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Tom McCarthy

Re: Matsusada Power Supply Cable

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Power supply arrived. Been knocked out sick for the past week and haven't measured the length of the HV output tube yet. As Ian mentioned it's a sawtooth connection as looks to be a similar length to the pipe opening to contact in Rex's picture. I was taken aback by how far in the tube goes.

The output connection looks like a sort of male banana plug protruding from way down in the tube. Pictures attached, though it's hard to get a clear one. Either this supply has an unexpected termination type or I've misunderstood previous advice as a protruding connection was completely unexpected. I expected either something like an AA battery terminal contact (flat metal button) or a female banana plug type, in the Spellman style.

HV output on supply
HV output on supply
HV output on supply
HV output on supply
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Such long tubing to the "hot spot" are the norm in rack mount gear. The long tube usually, quickly enters a giant block of epoxy formed around the sealed multiplier assembly. This avoids arcs inside the tightly packed electronics in the all metal rack mount box.

Once voltages soar to above 20kv in a power supply, modern safety codes demand a fully contained metal, grounding enclosure. The higher the voltage, the larger the enclosure and the more bizarre and taxing become the plug and cabling needed to pipe the voltage safely to the load.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Makes sense Richard.

Good news on the connector front, I found a Matsusada document detailing the different connections they use for power supplies. They have dimensions for each, which should enable identification.
matsusada cable.pdf
Matsusada cable connections
(305.37 KiB) Downloaded 872 times

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”