WA6-30N High Voltage Enable

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Tom McCarthy

WA6-30N High Voltage Enable

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Have been working on getting my 30kv/20ma power supply working. It's a Matsusada unit, all controlled via a fairly simple I/O. Datasheet is attached.

My first step has been trying to get the HV status pin to LO, which means HV ON. As far as I can tell from the datasheet, this only requires shorting the interlock (pin 7) and remote switch (pin 21) to their common pin 17. To check this I have circuits as shown in one of the attached images. They don't seem to be working though. The LED connected to the HV Status is lit up and does not turn off when the interlock and switch are shorted. Can anybody see if I'm missing something? I've also attached pics of the Dsub connector, to which I've soldered my connections.

Thanks.
WA_Rev.1.0(new).pdf.zip
Matsusada WA6-30N Datasheet
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 461 times
Circuit Diagram
Circuit Diagram
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
John Myers

Re: WA6-30N High Voltage Enable

Post by John Myers »

Are you you enabling (shorting) the safety interlock before plugging in the AC power?

Section 3-1 in the manual shows the steps you need to follow.
Section 4-4 states that if the interlock is opened the output is cut off until the AC power is removed and turned on again.
Tom McCarthy

Re: WA6-30N High Voltage Enable

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Good catch, thanks John. I've now got the power supply working as far as I can tell - HV status light switches on and off as expected, voltage readout reads 0-10v on my led meter, changing as I turn appropriately connected potentiometer. Progress!

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”