Solid State Neon "Transformers"

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.

Solid State Neon "Transformers"

Post by guest »

I have purchased on of these things on Ebay just for a lark. It runs on 220V input and puts out 30ma @ 15kv. I've only run it in normal modes so far. I've yet to hook up a variac to it to gain variability with it. Not bad for a ten dollar bid. If it doesn't work out it will still be of use in pulsed work as a capacitor charging source.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Richard Hull

Re: Solid State Neon "Transformers"

Post by Richard Hull »

These modern devices have traditionally not worked out for powering anything other than neon signage. It is the manner in which they are current limited that kept them from running a tesla coil which demands good initial HV power. The old iron transformers, while dialing back automatically also, at least gave you the high voltage ooomph to charge the cap in the circuit intially. The SS units are so electonically smart and do their job so well that there is little power to be had at high voltages as in the massive iron and wire units.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Re: Solid State Neon "Transformers"

Post by guest »

Some of these work very well when used with small capacitive or resistive coupled plasma reactors. I have a small asher (oxygen plasma) that uses one of these as the power supply.

Other than that, yup, great for neon signs.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”