Power Costs

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.

Power Costs

Post by guest »

Humm..... got a question that seems to never go away.
I've got my xray power supply in storage for now.
I would like a bench top supply that will put out 60kv
at 40ma... with out busting the bank.
It seems that a shortage of wound neon sign xformers
is going on.
Wouldn't mind a detailing of controllers for xray supplies either.... specs and diagrams.
What is a resonable price to pay?
Also a list a supply manufactuers would help.
I'll start with Spellman,Hippotronics,GE HP, Fluke,Collins...
Any others out there?

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Richard Hull

Re: Power Costs

Post by Richard Hull »

A bench supply that would put out a solid 60ma @ 60 kv wouldn't set on a bench, but occupy a corner of a room! It would NOT run off 120volts, but demand a 240 volt drop like a range outlet. If a 60hz based system of classic design with decent filtering to the 60ma point your are talking 500 pounds or more in mass for the rack cabinet that might contain such a system. It could be readily assembled from avaialble surplus parts. A master scrounger with good connections and a tremendous junk box might assemble it for under $500.00. Others might blow $2000.00 having to buy certain key components (Xfrmer - diodes) outright.

A 60 hertz system would only need a very few components.

A 30 amp 220 volt variac
A 60kv potential transformer (X-ray transformers won't cut it here)
A diode bridge made up from 24 20kv 1 amp Semitech HV epoxy diodes.
A filter cap to match the load demands. In this case a total of 10uf @ 80kv (for a margin of safety)
A large choke or huge current limiter resistor with a rating of at least 1000 watts. (this latter item could be replaced with an intelligent current regulator designed by the adroit amateur, but would then involve a front end controller to replace or at least limit the variacs output.

I have never run across any supply like you are mentioning in my lifelong travels.... surplus or otherwise. Most are torn apart at the point of surplus sales by the owner to avoid lawsuits from some person buying his old supply from a junk yard and killing himself with it.

A high voltage, high current supply which would be of a modern switcher type with multiplier stack similar to the one I recently presented in images du jour would weigh only about 150 lbs and might just take up an entire bench with its inverter/controller. Most such systems are 3 phase, however, and cost more than $10,000. The instant you go over 30kv and 10ma you are in the stratospheric and rarified atmosphere of pricing heaven for manufacturers. They figure anyone wanting more sauce than that is really a serious contender and just has to have some serious bucks, too and they plan on getting their share of 'em.

60kv at 60 honest to God, butt kickin', ripple free, milliamps with full control, metering and safeties is a great pipe dream for the amateur.

Universal Voltronics, Hippotronics, Spellman and HiTek Power lust for such customers.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Post by guest »

I would be happy to find any tranformers potential or other wise. I guess multipliers are the only out here.
I meant to say 10 ma , not forty ma. I can see your point about surplus dealers and power equipment.
Most supplies I've seen lately are in the 1 to 2 ma range.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

10ma...Much easier and definitely bench top. Ideal 60hz homebrew rig here would be to get a 30kv "thumper" transformer (insulation line test set tranny) or a good x-ray tranny. Voltage double or even triple with nice beefy caps in the ladder (~1uf) and variac control, of course. Very doable and realizable system supply.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”