power supply question

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.

power supply question

Post by guest »

hi all
me yet again. now im about to build a power supply for the fusor i have a 10kv 50ma nst and variac now im about to order some 1n4007 diodes to make the diode on each leg now i was going to follow the design on fusion is easy on richard hulls site but omit the filter cap will this be ok and what sort of voltages should i expect
many thanks
colin heath

Re: power supply question

Post by guest »

If your neon trani puts out 10kv then expect a maximum of 10 kv ac that will need to be rectified if 110v is applied. If your variac does more than 110v then calculate the new high at that voltage. You will have to figure the turns ratio for that trani. The power supply design should always aim for the highest voltage possible when setting up your diode string and use a few extras for a safety factor.

Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
Richard Hull

Re: power supply question

Post by Richard Hull »

I would not get 1N4007's and string them up. I would get two 12kv 500ma microwave oven diodes and hook them in series to rectify your voltge.

10kv rms out of a tranformer will rectify out to 14,000 vols DC peak output voltage. A neon sign transformer is magnetically shunted and will start to buckle or fold over its output voltage at 5-10 ma back to about only 700 volts output at its rated current.

Richard Hull

Richrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”