Microwave Transformers Times Two

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Starfire

Microwave Transformers Times Two

Post by Starfire »

Microwave oven transformers usually have one leg strapped to ground ( Iron-Core ) which limits their potential somewhat. A trick to double the O/P voltage, is to run two of them with one fed with an antiphase mains I/P { connected the other way around -- the start winding of one and the end winding of the other connected together to the mains etc.} The high voltage O/P's are fed to two diodes operating as fullwave. The cores are strapped together and grounded. In this configuration the pair act as one in a fullwave rectification mode and produce a DC voltage two times the O/P of a single transformer. For the adventurious souls - you can try a bridge and produce a differential of four times { give or take } And for the lunatic's in the camp - add another two transformers in series with the first two - connecting the cores of the second set to the HV of the first { the cores of the second set are at the full HV potential of the first set. -- They are allowed to float at this HV and pray that the insulation holds out. } Needless to say the whole assembly must be contained in a insulated box. I have run such a configuration for weeks with out failure or breakdown and get 16Kv @ 150ma as a differential voltage with the centre at Ground Potential suitable HV precautions are manditory THIS CONFIGURATION WILL KILL.
3l

Re: Microwave Transformers Times Two

Post by 3l »

Two microwave transformer in series have been running with no fuss for six months now. They are in oil. They have been used daily during that period. I used hollow state diodes to make dc. 2x2 diode vacuum tubes for rectifiers with d cell batteries to run the filaments. I'm using another set of microwave transformers to build my 10 stage linac supply with a maximun of 120kv at roughly 12 ma. I used (20) 470 pf @ 30 kv caps to prevent premature failure and create a safety margin. Also it leaves some wiggle room for better power latter.

Keep on Fusing!
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”