Spellman DXR3000/LC -- Help??

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Spellman DXR3000/LC

Post by Richard Hull »

Faster recovery diodes would be a bit better the 1000 volt
UF1007DICT-ND (digikey #) has a 75 nsec recovery and are $29.00 per 100 diodes. I use these exclusively now. I am not sure how series connections will affect the recovery time but it shouldn't lengthen by too much.... Certainly not as bad as a string of IN4007 which hang around 500 ns recovery.

Too bad Schottky Barrier diodes can't seem to crawl out to the 1000 volt level, Those babies are really fast. ( ~4ns) At this speed, however, circuit layout is critical to retain the speed figure and not much switching at both high voltage and high power occurs at frequencies where these work. There might come a day though..........

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Actually, the standard 1N4007 diodes will be more like 2 usec recovery time if you are lucky. Cheaper brands may be worse. If you actually ask them to recover form a large forward conduction pulse, performance may be worse.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Right! Which is why you should be very conservative in rating them. Still, for power frequency operation, especially if you have some output filtering, they should be okay. But if one suffers a voltage collapse, it might precipate failure of others, if you're running too far up towards rating limits.

But there's no question, the faster recovery diodes will be more robust, and better all around. It's just, that when you have 'em and you're on a limited budget, you learn how to make it work, till you can afford to upgrade.

And again... be careful.. these are good for about an ampere average and probably have ~100A transient current capability. They won't act like a fuse till you're in serious trouble, if you inadvertently become part of the output circuit.

Dave Cooper
DaveC

Re: Spellman DXR3000/LC -- Help??

Post by DaveC »

Now your fun begins.....

Depending on how improvised you want your setup, anything that produces AC at a reasonably high frequency will drive the multiplier. Not sure what frequency that unit was designed for, but assume 20 kHz or somewhat higher. For low voltage and lowpower testing you can drive it with an audio oscillator and amplifier.

The multi-pin connector shouldn't be too hard to sort out, since it primarily will return back voltage, avg current and surge/fault signals to the controller. The larger LV leads, are where the AC goes in.

Have fun, and may all your grounds be solid.

Dave Cooper
cwarner

Post by cwarner »

I have three Spellman units available. I have not powered the units up, or tested in any way. Please call or email if you want images or further info. I am accepting offers for the units.

Spellman DXR 3000A INV.
Model DXR3000A/WSF/FSI/PH/LC

Spellman DXR 3000A FIL

Spellman DXR 3000A HV
Attachments
DSC02080.JPG
wayne

Post by wayne »

I just received the DXR3000 from Casey Warner. One unit is the same as
yours, the second unit has the transformer and diode stack with a voltage
reference circuit. The third seems to add fill. power. One HV input and a
three pin HV output.
I ordered the $100.00 manual and will loan it to anyone having a need.
We are replacing the frayed wires and after we get the manual, at a
safe distance, the smoke test is in order.

wayne
nemesistech

Post by nemesistech »

Would love to take a gander at this manual as well, just bought the "rack and stack" 3000 as well, just waiting for it to arrive.
Attachments
spellman-3000-dx-0731.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I was curious about this, but just had a bad feeling. I could easily have driven to their door and picked it up, too, as I constantly visit a friend only a few miles from Sykesville, MD. There is a quaint railroad restaurant there that is worth visiting.

Let me know how this works out. If it is good and complete, I will kick myself.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
nemesistech

Post by nemesistech »

It is a complete system, all cables, etc. Everything powers up fine, but I am still working around the filament chassis and it wiring, and how either to bypass it or exclude it... (thanks to Jon for his help) The only thing that was damaged was the coolant tank which I dont need.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Its ok Richard I'm kicking myself up here in Fairfax for not getting it as well.
lucian

Post by lucian »

Hello, I know it has been a few years since someone posted on this topic. ... i am looking for the manual for this system .. does anybody still have the manual ? would you guys be interested in sharing it ?
Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt »

Please change your username to your full name and introduce yourself in the "Please Introduce Yourself" section. Thanks!
Youngest person to build a fusor
Adam Binns

Post by Adam Binns »

-Greg
you may want to use the capacitors to smooth out the rectified wave-form otherwise it will have the same properties as AC.
You could also get high voltage cable and wrap 20-50 turns around an iron core to act as an inductive ballast also, you might want to calculate the conversion rate from AC to DC as it can increase the voltage output drastically.
"it's not illegal just don't get caught"

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”