My patent for a new ion source

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
John Futter

My patent for a new ion source

Post by John Futter »

I case some of you are interested
I designed this ion source to coat the interior of pipes with N+ ions
the patent also covers the inverse of it to coat the exterior of round objects
This later version might form a novel fusor with the fusor shell being the ion source and a negative electrode grid in the center for it to work against
http://www.google.com/patents/WO2013019129A2?cl=en
I will post a pic soon of a real version for coating the inner surface of 6"pipe
Steven Sesselmann

Re: My patent for a new ion source

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

John,

I think you showed me this invention when I last visited your lab, so well done. I sympathise with you in respect of writing the claims, it's mind bending exercise, to describe such an object with words, without making a word salad.

A few pictures or a diagram is worth a 1000 words, such a shame it cant be used in the claims.
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

So, John, it looks like a cylindrical virtual anode source. Is there more to it than that?

'Fraid I can't make head-nor-tail from your claims, and the pictures don't help much!! :cry:

There is a very large gulf between making a patent application and 'having a patent'. Good luck!
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Now for a couple of pics of one that has done a few hundred hours of operation of 20kV acceleration @ 25mA of ion current with out any problems or needing to be serviced. although the insulating supports are now needing their first clean
DSCN0037.jpg
DSCN0038.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice images, thanks for sharing those.

25 ma of ion current!!?

What kind of energy are you forcefeeding that thing!

5ma of genuine Ion current is a big deal and might need 0.5KW to 1KW input to the ion gun...or more.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Richard
I'm using all our 1kW Bertan 20kV 50mA supply can do.
That is why the outer swagelock fittings are there these take the kerosene to cool the source back to a heat exchanger. the central swagelock is for gas for the source argon for cleaning and nitrogen for nitriding
Russ Gaines

Post by Russ Gaines »

I hope i don't get shot for replying to such an old topic, but here i go.

At first this sounded like some kind weird of paint-on ion source, but after reading the patent application i understood otherwise. So what is it? Some kind of unusual ion gun? If so, how can this be used to "coat the interior of pipes with N+ ions"?
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”