Page 2 of 2

Re: end-hall ion source

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:22 am
by Werner Engel
Jerry,
And what about using glass? Pyrex?
I was told by someone who repairs ion sources that quartz is not the best material as it breaks after some time
due to ion bombardment and several other effects. But most of the HF sources use a kind of glass cylinder.
Think about the Helicon devices! Teflon is also used as a window between the microwave source and the vacuum chamber in such sources.

Re: end-hall ion source

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:07 pm
by Jeroen Vriesman
Jerry, another option is nickel plating the iron parts.

http://www.nickelinstitute.org/~/Media/ ... 141015.pdf

Re: end-hall ion source

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:02 am
by Jerry Biehler
Werner Engel wrote:Jerry,
And what about using glass? Pyrex?
I was told by someone who repairs ion sources that quartz is not the best material as it breaks after some time
due to ion bombardment and several other effects. But most of the HF sources use a kind of glass cylinder.
Think about the Helicon devices! Teflon is also used as a window between the microwave source and the vacuum chamber in such sources.
The end hall or gridded sourced if IAEBD are a bit different than the kind of sources you are talking about. These are almost all metal and provide ions to create better and more durable coatings in a e-beam system. The can also be used to clean parts before coating as well as use the ion beam to sputter parts.

Intlvac has really nice cutaway drawings of their Veeco/Commonwealth clones. http://www.intlvac.com/parts

Re: end-hall ion source

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:17 am
by Jerry Biehler
Jeroen Vriesman wrote:Jerry, another option is nickel plating the iron parts.

http://www.nickelinstitute.org/~/Media/ ... 141015.pdf
Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. I might go in that direction.

Re: end-hall ion source

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 am
by Andrew Seltzman
410 stainless is good for use in a vacuum and is magnetic. I have successfully used it on my anode layer ion sources.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5011&start=40

You can buy it from mcmaster as round barstock and machine it out.

Re: end-hall ion source

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:44 am
by Jerry Biehler
Andrew Seltzman wrote:410 stainless is good for use in a vacuum and is magnetic. I have successfully used it on my anode layer ion sources.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5011&start=40

You can buy it from mcmaster as round barstock and machine it out.
I need a pretty big ion source for my chamber, possibly a 5cm one, the od on that one is about 5.5". That would be a nightmare to make out of solid.

Probably the easiest thing is 410 sheet and then roll and weld. I am pretty sure thats how they are making them. I think I saw a seam in one pic.