ion source doesn't work

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Werner Engel

Re: ion source doesn't work

Post by Werner Engel »

yes, please Keep us informed and also make pictures!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Always want to hear more about a system. Thanks for sharing what you have done. Remember to have at least a baffling system to reduce back streaming of DP oil into your system.
DanielSandner

Post by DanielSandner »

Hello everybody,
sorry for the late reply but I had many exams at school, but in a few weeks there are holidays.
Now I use the oil diffusion pump, luckily I bought it with a suitable baffle, for a hour every day, and the ion source works pretty well. To allow longer runs i have to improve my cooling system.
As you can see in the picture I have a plasma discharge at around 1 mbar and beyond the capillary a pressure lower than 10^-3 mbar. The lightning disc is a piece of an fluorescent screen to test the intensity of the beam depending on the distance from the capillary. I use a flyback transformer, now without resistor but with limited power on the primary, and the tube keeps pretty cool even after 30 seconds, and you can see the ion beam easily.
cheers, Daniel Sandner
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Looks very good. Glad this has progressed so well.

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”