Driving a deuteron accelerator with a stungun voltage source

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Grigory_Heaton

Driving a deuteron accelerator with a stungun voltage source

Post by Grigory_Heaton »

Yet another idea I want to run by those who know more about this than I do.

You can purchase a stun gun on Ebay incredibly cheaply, for less than $20 in almost all cases. They essentially produce a tiny current at a huge voltage for a short period of time, usually consuming 1-2 Joules per burst. Notably, I found one that runs at 100,000 volts (and therefore only produces current on the order of tens of microamps in short bursts), although these voltages can go much higher with other stun guns. For reference, a taser runs at around 50,000 volts with a much higher current. Since such a measly power source in only short bursts could not be used for a full-on fusor, my hope here would be that one (or more) of these high voltage stun guns could be used to create a deuteron accelerator capable of fusing deuterium when hitting the target (basically a standard neutron generator) in small amounts, that operates in quick bursts. If functional it would be a very cheap (and small) option compared to the regular route of having to build or purchase a large voltage boosting setup.

Now 100 kV should be adequate for the deuterons to fuse if they impact another deuteron at the target. Whether or not enough fusion reactions occur to detect something in the short window that the voltage is being applied is another story, especially since the stun gun probably runs off a capacitor if I had to guess, which means that voltage is going to drop as it drains. But if there is a hint of this working I may try it, since it would cut the cost a lot (unless I'm missing something big).

Anyone think this is feasible? That high voltage for so little cost is very tempting even without the high power output.
John Futter

Re: Driving a dueteron accelerator with a stungun voltage so

Post by John Futter »

Grigory
no stun guns are of no use
no stun gun produces 100kV.
no stun gun produces continuous DC
do not believe the avertising crap that they serve up to sucker people like you to buy.

Ion sources need around 1 -5 kV at up to 30mA. ie 10 to 150 watts continuous output
what acceleration potential you then supply is up to you --the more the better so another power supply of 20 -80kV 10 -30mA is required for the acceleration ie 200 to 2400 watt continuous output

all of this has been explained on this site in the approriate FAQ's

do some reading!!!!!!!
Last edited by John Futter on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hull

Re: Driving a deuteron accelerator with a stungun voltage so

Post by Richard Hull »

It simply will not work. The number of folks trying a HV workaround approaches infinity. Energy is energy, there is no way around it. Stun gun systems have no usable energy in them.

Read the FAQs!!!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”