Mass production anode layer ion sources for sale

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Andrew Seltzman

Mass production anode layer ion sources for sale

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

I will likely be having a e-machine shop make a mass production run of the anode layer ion source I designed for my fusor. I will be selling the ion source cores(the source itself without the conflat base plate) for $200ea, please post if you are interested in buying one.

Ion source development thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5011
http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... source.htm
file.jpg
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
David Kunkle

Re: Mass production anode layer ion sources for sale

Post by David Kunkle »

This offer probably couldn't come at a better time for me. I'm up for one.
Do you have any idea what time frame for delivery?

Been looking at its construction on your website. Seems easy enough to construct the CF flange.
Looks like there is about a 1.4 mm gap around the source and the inside of the 2.75CF nipple it would insert into. Does the 1/8" alumina that connects to the 1/4" VCR gas feed seal in any way to the VCR? I may be missing something, but it appears that there is a gap between the two, and that gas can leak past everything and into the chamber.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young »

What about offering a fully assembled source with conflat?
- Garrett
Andrew Seltzman

I would be able to have sources ready in early January.

As far as the VCR goes, I've never fed gas into them, at fusor pressures ambient chamber pressure is fine.

I wouldn't be able to offer a conflat base plate myself, Sharon Vacuum quotes the machining/welding process for a base plate at $265ea + parts, so you would be looking at about $350 for a complete base plate.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I see- so it's basically recirculating the gas already in the chamber the way you've been using them?
The way the gas input is constructed, will all the input gas go thru the ion source or can some/most escape and get around into the chamber? Or is the gas input just meant to dump the gas into the chamber as in any regular fusor setup regardless of the ion source?

$350 for the base plate- ouch! I already have a blank 2.75 laying around and a HV feed thru. I've already worked out how I'll finish the construction for pretty cheap if this goes thru.
Does the source come with the hex standoff? I ask now only because they're cheap and I'm about to place an order with McMaster for a few other things anyway.

Thanks Andrew.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young »

If the gas feedthrough isn't really being used, then maybe a standard MHV conflat feedthrough could be used with a single drilled/tapped hole.

Will the current (or alternate) standoff fit in the center of IFTMG022033 (http://www.lesker.com/newweb/feedthroug ... fm?pgid=cf)?

I think the 91075A174 has a max. diameter of 0.433in and the MHV pins are on a 0.87in circle, so this would provide a min. clearance of ~0.22in per side.
- Garrett
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

The least expensive option for the flange is to buy a blank flange, drill and tap (NPT) the holes for the gas and HV, and use a spark plug for the feedthrough. There are still a few spark plugs available with a pipe thread.Those without access to a machine shop and tig welding capability could still make the flange this way. I built some of Andrew's ion sources this way several years ago. I'm away right now, but will post pictures and specifics when I return.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Deep reach spark plugs are still a very viable insulator for vacuum work provided the voltage isn't over about 5 or 10kv. They will have to be reworked to a greater or lesser degree. Threading taps for spark plugs are common and easy to obtain as there are only a few types of "standard" threadings. Sealing is rather easy for vacuum use, as well.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Seltzman

Sharron vacuum will do the welding+leak check for $90, if you do the machining and provide the parts. There are some electrical feedthroughs on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MDC-2-75in-CF-C ... Swux5YTFYN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPS-MKS-Conflat ... Sw5cNYOugz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-9462005-Ins ... Sw3mpXL0Xo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-9462001-Ins ... Sw~oFXH-WP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KURT-J-LESK ... xyEHxRInra

The orders for the pole pieces and casings have been placed, they should ship to me on Jan 5th.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young »

Andrew,

I'm interested in purchasing one of the ion source cores.
- Garrett
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

I indicated above that I would post the spark plug information. The spark plugs we used for feedthroughs were the Autolite 3095. This is a nonresistor plug with a 1/2 inch pipe thread. They are used in vintage engines, and other manufacturers list equivalents. The 1/2 inch thread is good from the standpoint of giving more clearance between HV and ground compared to a standard size plug, but is probably too large to use with a 2.75 conflat and still have adequate space for the gas feedthrough pipe thread. We were mounting the ion sources on ISO63 aluminum flanges. The aluminum ISO flanges have the advantage of being easier than stainless to drill and tap. The downside is that they use an O-ring seal which could be problematic due to heating from extended use of the ion source. One needs of course to cut off the side electrode. Cutting back some of the thread gives more HV clearance, but requires access to a lathe.
Andrew Seltzman

Dan,

Do you have pictures of the sources that you built? How are they working for you?
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

Photo below. We made four of these, but the project was tabled before we ever used them, so I have no operational data. Other than the flange and feedthroughs, we reproduced Andrew's sources as posted on his web site. I hope some day to resurrect this project and (if and when) will post data.
Attachments
anode layer ion source.JPG
Andrew Seltzman

Center pole pieces, CNC machined out of 410SS, have arrived. The copper like color is due to chemical cleaning
CIMG4250a.jpg
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

That's enough for quite a few sources while only several of us agreed to buy one. Are you going into mass production or building a reactor with 100 ion guns? ;)

Ernest Rutherford
Andrew Seltzman

Based on the setup fees for CNC machining a batch, it was most economical to have a large batch made for the parts that require CNC machining. I have 50 center pole pieces and will have 40 outer cases(hopefully they will ship tomorrow). Including all the other parts though, I have enough to make 10 complete sources.

But yes, this gives me the option of doing a limited mass production run.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Andrew Seltzman wrote:Based on the setup fees for CNC machining a batch.
Should have reached out to me Andrew. I'm always willing to trade.

We're now up to x6 HAAS VF2's, x1 SMM, x1 VF3, and a new 5 axis. We also just installed a new Fanuc robot to completely automate one of the VF2's.
VF2
VF2
Fanuc
Fanuc
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Seltzman

Nice equipment, what are you guys building?
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

I partnered with this CNC shop for the duration of my research. My side of the partnership gives me a key to the shop and as a result access to all equipment outside their usual production schedules. Its been a fantastic relationship. The shop itself works a lot of government contracts. On my side of things, we're still working on a neutron source. Definitely reach out to me if you want some help in the future. Also, I still want to pick your brain on the your liquid feed through. Getting off topic now though. We can chat more about it later if you're interested.

http://host.atomiklan.com/bot.mp4
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Seltzman

All parts except outer casings:
vented 10-32 screws
vented 10-32 standoffs
center pole pieces
SmCo magnet rings
anode rings
ceramic insulators
clip rings
0-80 nuts

SAM_5491a.jpg
SAM_5492a.jpg
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman

Can I get a headcount for anyone interested in buying an ion source, they are $200+$7 shipping. They should hopefully be ready late this week.

So far I have:
1x David Kunkle
1x Garrett Young
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman

The casings arrived today. Ten ion sources have been assembled and are ready to ship. I also have Emco F40 12v to 4kV proportional DC-DC converters to run them if people are interested in those as well. Additionally I can ship the sources with either the pictured male threaded standoff, or with a female threaded standoff.

40 Casings
SAM_5494a.jpg
SmCo magnets installed
SAM_5497a.jpg
Anode rings
SAM_5498a.jpg
Anode rings installed
SAM_5503a.jpg
Anode retaining clips and ceramic insulators
SAM_5501a.jpg
Central pole piece and vented screw
SAM_5504a.jpg