Mass production anode layer ion sources for sale

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.

Mass production anode layer ion sources for sale

Postby Andrew Seltzman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

I will likely be having a e-machine shop make a mass production run of the anode layer ion source I designed for my fusor. I will be selling the ion source cores(the source itself without the conflat base plate) for $200ea, please post if you are interested in buying one.

Ion source development thread:
http://www.fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5011
http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/fusor-mark3-anode-layer-ion-source.htm

file.jpg
Andrew Seltzman

Re: Mass production anode layer ion sources for sale

Postby David Kunkle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:58 pm

This offer probably couldn't come at a better time for me. I'm up for one.
Do you have any idea what time frame for delivery?

Been looking at its construction on your website. Seems easy enough to construct the CF flange.
Looks like there is about a 1.4 mm gap around the source and the inside of the 2.75CF nipple it would insert into. Does the 1/8" alumina that connects to the 1/4" VCR gas feed seal in any way to the VCR? I may be missing something, but it appears that there is a gap between the two, and that gas can leak past everything and into the chamber.
David Kunkle

Postby Garrett Young » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:39 am

What about offering a fully assembled source with conflat?
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Andrew Seltzman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:56 am

I would be able to have sources ready in early January.

As far as the VCR goes, I've never fed gas into them, at fusor pressures ambient chamber pressure is fine.

I wouldn't be able to offer a conflat base plate myself, Sharon Vacuum quotes the machining/welding process for a base plate at $265ea + parts, so you would be looking at about $350 for a complete base plate.
Andrew Seltzman

Postby David Kunkle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 am

I see- so it's basically recirculating the gas already in the chamber the way you've been using them?
The way the gas input is constructed, will all the input gas go thru the ion source or can some/most escape and get around into the chamber? Or is the gas input just meant to dump the gas into the chamber as in any regular fusor setup regardless of the ion source?

$350 for the base plate- ouch! I already have a blank 2.75 laying around and a HV feed thru. I've already worked out how I'll finish the construction for pretty cheap if this goes thru.
Does the source come with the hex standoff? I ask now only because they're cheap and I'm about to place an order with McMaster for a few other things anyway.

Thanks Andrew.
David Kunkle

Postby Garrett Young » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:20 am

If the gas feedthrough isn't really being used, then maybe a standard MHV conflat feedthrough could be used with a single drilled/tapped hole.

Will the current (or alternate) standoff fit in the center of IFTMG022033 (http://www.lesker.com/newweb/feedthroug ... fm?pgid=cf)?

I think the 91075A174 has a max. diameter of 0.433in and the MHV pins are on a 0.87in circle, so this would provide a min. clearance of ~0.22in per side.
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Postby Dan Knapp » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:51 am

The least expensive option for the flange is to buy a blank flange, drill and tap (NPT) the holes for the gas and HV, and use a spark plug for the feedthrough. There are still a few spark plugs available with a pipe thread.Those without access to a machine shop and tig welding capability could still make the flange this way. I built some of Andrew's ion sources this way several years ago. I'm away right now, but will post pictures and specifics when I return.
Dan Knapp

Postby Richard Hull » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Deep reach spark plugs are still a very viable insulator for vacuum work provided the voltage isn't over about 5 or 10kv. They will have to be reworked to a greater or lesser degree. Threading taps for spark plugs are common and easy to obtain as there are only a few types of "standard" threadings. Sealing is rather easy for vacuum use, as well.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Postby Garrett Young » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Andrew,

I'm interested in purchasing one of the ion source cores.
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Next

Return to Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)