Another gun I put together

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Richard Hester

Re: Another gun I put together

Post by Richard Hester »

You might also want to look at Tungsten-Rhenium, which has almost as high a melting point as Tungsten, but is a whole lot easier to machine. This also may go for spot welding, too.
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Phil:

Replicating the gun you gave me is a fun thing!
Ok ...How did you mount the BeO tube in the conflat nipple?
Very pretty welding here!
Or soldering?

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Codecat

Post by Codecat »

Hi Phil…

I saw your post on this forum, and I must say that I really am impressed with the ion gun that you built! I am interested in building a linear accelerator, and wondered if your ion source would be appropriate for that use. A linear accelerator uses a very hard vacuum as opposed to a fusor, and I am not sure if that would be a factor with this. Another question that I thought of is would this device work with heavy gasses, such as Xenon? Finally, do you make your ion guns available for sale? I do not have any machining skills, and I must say that what you constructed looks like it would take a master machinist from Germany to make.

I have a long way to go with my project, and so far I have been working on the vacuum system and a voltage source (CW voltage multiplier).

Email me privately if you want.

All the best and 73,

Joe Herdler, KB0TXC

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”