Molybdenum Anode Insert (corrected dimensions)

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
raneyt

Molybdenum Anode Insert (corrected dimensions)

Post by raneyt »

Folks,

Below is a the diagram for the molybdenum anode insert. This is a corrected version from the insert showed on the "Hull-Raney Ion Gun" post. Interestingly, machining the molybdenum was not as difficult as I thought it would be. More to follow.

Regards,

TIM
Attachments
Molybdenum Insert Diagram Corrected.jpg
3l

Re: Molybdenum Anode Insert (corrected dimensions)

Post by 3l »

DOD work regularly uses large quantity of what they call strategic metals.
Molybdenum will work harden to a degree don't drag your tools too long in one spot. Diamond and silcon carbide will work most.
Useful stuff and not the big "b" of say chromiun cobalt alloy or tungsten or super alloys.
We used tons of that stuff for jet engine blades.
Some companies used co2 lasers to drill cooling holes in ruff blades.
We used spark discharge drilling for that purpose.
A simple process that uses a capacitor , a diode and a discharge bit.
Runs on 110 volts straight out of the wall!
Just put your part in oil the arc..arc away the extra stuff.
Works on any thing conductive....it's slow but it works.
Don't go out of the way to buy diamond stuff or carbide...if you do't want to...
A drill press and a shallow pan of oil is all it takes to be a high tech fabricator exotic metals.
Tungsten is a snap this way.

We used a lot of vanadium stuff also.

Fusion is fun!
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
raneyt

Re: Molybdenum Anode Insert (corrected dimensions)

Post by raneyt »

Thanks, Larry.

Interesting comments on the spark erosion technique...a simple EDM. I hadn't thought about doing that, but it's a good idea. As I mentioned, the molybdenum machining went very well. I use mostly carbide tooling anyway in my shop.

If you're interested in the details, I faced the molybdenum insert on the lathe at 1,000 RPM and only removed 0.002” to 0.003” of material during each pass. I ensured the workpiece was coated with lubricant wax, since liquids don't adhere too well at 1,000 RPM. Moybdenum cheaps easy, but with sharp tooling, that didn't happen.

Thanks again for your comments, have fun and take it easy.

Regards,

TIM

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”