UPDATE#4: Hull-Raney Ion Gun Construction

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
raneyt

UPDATE#4: Hull-Raney Ion Gun Construction

Post by raneyt »

Hey Guys,

Another update on the ion gun work. I hope to assemble and vacuum test the unit within the next week. Lab notebook entry appears below. That's it for now. Not very exciting.

Regards,

TIM

26 March 2003. Ion Source Fabrication Notes: Component Cleaning. I finished all the ion gun parts except the exhaust port adapter. I started machining that last night from ¾” OD aluminum (6061) bar stock. One end will be threaded for the 1/8-27 NPT port on the Faraday cup flange and the other end will be 0.50” OD for the rubber vacuum pump hose. I also washed all ion gun components in hot water and dish detergent to de-grease them, followed by drying with compressed air with a final wipe with alcohol-soaked lint free paper. Theses parts are now prepared for assembly. I also modified the ion gun design to use 3/16” OD G-10 epoxy rod for compressing all the components to make the system vacuum-tight. Each rod (4 total) were threaded at the ends for 10-32 nuts. I plan to use two pieces of aluminum angle stock to align the ion gun for assembly.

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”